temporary fuel gauge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

temporary fuel gauge

Heres my problem my wiring in my truck is very bad old and i need a fuel gauge i keep running out of gas. My truck is a 77 k10 it has duel tanks. My Old gauge cluster is no good so i need and aftermarket fuel gauge. the sending units also read mega ohms. ld like to use them both if possible. heres the question how could i run a fuel gauge to one tank and could i do it to work for both. and could i run a wire to the sending unit to make the resistor work right because i think its not getting any power and how much power does it need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM

The stock sensors are 0-90 ohms (very common), but the wiring is a little complicated with dual tanks.

The stock sending unit wire should be tan, and it runs down the passenger side frame rail to the tank. The tank also has a ground wire to the frame If you had one tank that would be all you need. The instrument cluster has to also have 12 volts power for the sending unit. It only draws about 1 amp (or less).

For dual tanks you will have additional wires on the dash switch that should include:
- 12 volts power from fuse box (ignition on only) to the dash switch
- 12 volt power running down to the tank solenoid that switches the fuel lines between tanks
- three additional wires from the switch to a point under the truck
-- tan/white - runs down drivers side frame rail to left side tank sending unit
-- tan - runs down frame rail, across under the truck, and connects to the right side tank sending unit
-- 3rd wire (color?) - runs down frame rail, across under the truck,and connects to the wire that comes down the passenger frame rail from the dash gauge

If you take an aftermarket fuel gauge and connect it to 12 volts power on one side, and the tan wire on the passenger side tank sending unit (or the tan/white on the driver's side tank), it should provide a reading.

If your gauge cluster does not work, it may just be the ground. There should be a black instrument panel ground wire grounded to a bolt on top of the emergency brake pedal mechanism. If this instrument ground is missing, the cluster will barely work at all.

Bruce
Old 06-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

factory tanks or after market?....... factory.... kinda as stated above, or, along with after market..... just install a dual position toggle (3 poles) with a wire coming from each sending unit to each side of the toggle then run the common pole from the toggle to the sending unit side of the fuel gauge..... should work like a champ
Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 AM

Last photo:

thx for the feedback but heres my problem none of the wires match to what bruce stated on the cluster they are no good and and my switch is good but it does not switch the tank over when i push the switch i think its not getting any power, its good i tested it. The switch in the cab has all the wires but the one for the instrument cluster is not the same as bruce said. i plan on getting a new complete harness i just need really only one tank i just like to the other as back up. i just need a temp setup to one tank. any suggestions on how i could do this?
Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 AM

Last photo:

i would really like to try EOD guys way but problem is my tanks read mega ohms they are grounded right and are gm sending units 0-90 so i heard that that occurs when the resistor is not getting any power. how would i get them power?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:36 AM

The main tank on your year of truck should be the right side tank, and the sending unit wire is tan. First crawl under the truck and find the ground wire and sending unit wire coming from the tank. The ground wire will be grounded to screw on the frame, so it should be easy to find. Verify that this ground wire is connected to the sending unit and securely grounded on the frame.

However, I am confused about your troubleshooting and measuring resistance. To get a good reading the sending unit wire must be connected only to the sending unit, and disconnected from the other wiring.
If you disconnect the tan wire from the truck wiring, so it is only connected to the tank (you might have to cut it if there is no junction to pop apart), are you saying that you put an ohmmeter between the tank sending unit wire and ground, and it reads thousands of ohms?

Bruce
Old 06-15-2011, 05:43 PM

Last photo:

im think it was still connected with the ignition on when we checked it but the cluster isnt connected and the solenoid valve isn't getting any power so there is no reading to my aftermarket gauge it goes over full. everything is grounded and they told me the resistor probably isnt getting any power and thats whats causing it so could i just run a wire to the sending unit then to a wire with 12 volts when the ignition is on then run my gauge to that?

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.