Temporary headliner removal for improvements - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2003, 09:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Temporary headliner removal for improvements

I have a 37 Ply 4 door sedan. The original builder of the car did not install any kind of sound deadener to the roof skin before installing the fabric headliner. Can any one tell me if the headliner can be temporarily removed to install sound deadener and reinstalled or should I expect to damage the liner because of the way Plymouth set up the installation method? I have poked around the edges, but cannot figure out how it was installed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Is it a solid panel? Or is it set up with bows?

If it's set up with bows, I would expect it to be tucked behind the side trim moldings, which would make it easy to deal with -- but from what you're saying, it isn't.

If it's a solid panel, then I would suspect everything is glued in place - ouch.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Old 04-15-2003, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

I would not mess with it headliners are easy to destroy trying to remove them, some are glued some nailed, stapled or serrated gripped or a combo of these, and you will tear it no matter how carefull you are.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:25 AM

You can try to remove the headliner yourself.
If it screws up you still get the deadener you wanted and have the expense of a new headliner.
If it doesn't get messed up, you have the deadener you wanted and the experience of doing a headliner.
Not bad choices at all, I think!
Old 04-16-2003, 02:37 PM

Horvath, the liner is on hoops and there is a cord detail at the edges. There is no metal trim and when I look in the seam between the cording and the liner, I don't see any evidence of a fastener. It all seems to stay up there by magic but I know that is not possible. Thanks Pasadenahotrod for your insight but I don't want to risk loosing the headliner. If I cannot remove it and re-install it, then I will live with the extra noise until I need to do more than just a headliner.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

if you have the cord type trim(windlace) and you can't see any visable fasteners, you have the perforated metal type retainers, these have little sharp spikes pressed from the metal and the headliner is gripped by them, this plus close clearance holds the liner tight.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:19 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

The headliner is held in place by what is called pli-grip. Like someone else said, it has serrated edges, and you basically pull the headliner towards the door frame, and use a tucking tool (looks just like a paint scraper) and stuff it up inside the pli-grip. The serrated edges grip into the weave of the material and hold it in place. The cording, or windlace, is stapled to the car first, then the pli-grip is screwed over the windlace, then the headliner is stuffed in.

It is possible, but really hard to get the headliner out of the pli-grip without ripping it. If it is horribly loud and annoying, try and take it out, if it needs to be replaced you might expect to pay $300-$500 to replace it. If the noise really isnt that bad, then I wouldnt mess with it.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

jpd37 - give a close look at the other side of the windlace (cording) ... body side. Like BobCRman and kristkustoms said, the windlace is attached with metal teeth. If you can pull the cording down and away, towards the floor and/or side of the car, you may be able to free it up.

I agree with the others - this is a bear to do, but if the angels are with you and you can work the windlace - just on one side and in the front and back - you may be able to slide the headliner on the hoops and do some soundproofing.

I understand your frustration, bro' ... and I'm hoping you find some way to pull this off (pun intended).

Alan
Old 04-17-2003, 08:45 AM

Thanks to y'all. I don't have a good feeling about tackling this little deal. I suffer from a bit of arthritis in my shoulders and I have made a few practice attempts to investigate the kind of effort it would take to do the job. It is something that would take me a month of Sundays to complete and with my luck, I'd probably end up replacing the darned thing. I'm wondering how much of an improvement there would be if I inserted a baffle into each tail pipe. I have 2-1/2" pipes and dual chamber Flomasters. Any comments?
Old 04-17-2003, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Hey, bro'

If you want to get some real relief from the arthritis ... I mean like, "it's not even noticable anymore" ... get yourself on some Coral Calcium :
<a href="http://www.cures4you.net/" target="_blank">http://www.cures4you.net/</a>

This is serious - I've got it setting in my hands from playing music on a pro basis for more than 30 years - I take 2 pills, 2-3 times a day and it no longer exists.

Doesn't cost much either.

Alan

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.