temporary paint booth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 PM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

temporary paint booth

Here are a few pics of my temp.. paint booth... and a few of my compressor , gun, lights, ventilation... I planned on priming tomorrow, still may, but the rain put me a little behind today.. got the booth ready .. but still need to do a little final sanding and getting rid of a little surface rust... then need to clean the car and tape everything off.. I still may be able to get it done tomorrow..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Bodies, Frames & Radiators

Last photo:

I love it!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Last journal entry: Well finally got something different for a project...
Last photo:

Nice
Old 08-25-2009, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

I used it to spray a little primer on my roof and visor since they were bare metal... seemed to work pretty well...
Old 08-28-2009, 05:52 AM

Booth looks great.

Quick Question - What's the CFM requirements of your gun? The reason I ask, is I have that compressor, and it has a hard time keeping up with the demand of my gun, I have to stop and start.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 AM

Well you might think you have a good booth, but you are going to find out it does not do the job. Been there done that.

You do not have enough input opening and so the fans can not draw enough air. The box fans have too much space in the corners and the air actually will come in the corners of the fan and then go out.

You do not need to worry about filtering the air. Open more vents on the back and sides. You want to clear the over spray so you want volumes of air and you do not need to worry about dirt. I ended up with a whole house fan from the trash. That has a real shroud to it and would move air. I put holes all over and I had not more lingering overspray and still had negative pressure in the booth.

The reason you do not worry about dirt is because 90% comes from the car. You need to blow the car off like mad. Including the corners where dirt hides. This will sound a bit controversial, but with clean hands wipe the car blowing it off at the same time. I just recently learned this and finally have almost dirt free surfaces.

You do not have anywheres near enough light!!

You need at least 6 to 10 more lights. You want them all over or you are just going to screw up your paint. I know I learned the hard way.

That compressor is nothing. Watch craigslist for something in the real 3 to 5 HP range. Not those special ones that run at high speed to make air. You want a better one that runs slow and has a real motor on it.

Then there is the air supply lines. You have to get a good air water separator. You also want the 3/8 couplers not the 1/4" ones.

I am sure none of the above is what you want to hear. I tried to do the paint on the cheap, it does not work.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

extra tank ?

I had a friend that got a big air tank from a junk commercial compressor, about 100 gallons, It took his compressor like yours about an hour to pressure it but it would also allow the air to cool . then he had enough volume stored up to spray an entire car at once. I used to keep a trouble light in one hand and the gun in the other so I could see what was happening .and we used to drink water from a hose and ride bikes without a helmet.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in NJ
Well you might think you have a good booth, but you are going to find out it does not do the job. Been there done that.

You do not have enough input opening and so the fans can not draw enough air. The box fans have too much space in the corners and the air actually will come in the corners of the fan and then go out.

You do not need to worry about filtering the air. Open more vents on the back and sides. You want to clear the over spray so you want volumes of air and you do not need to worry about dirt. I ended up with a whole house fan from the trash. That has a real shroud to it and would move air. I put holes all over and I had not more lingering overspray and still had negative pressure in the booth.

The reason you do not worry about dirt is because 90% comes from the car. You need to blow the car off like mad. Including the corners where dirt hides. This will sound a bit controversial, but with clean hands wipe the car blowing it off at the same time. I just recently learned this and finally have almost dirt free surfaces.

You do not have anywheres near enough light!!

You need at least 6 to 10 more lights. You want them all over or you are just going to screw up your paint. I know I learned the hard way.

That compressor is nothing. Watch craigslist for something in the real 3 to 5 HP range. Not those special ones that run at high speed to make air. You want a better one that runs slow and has a real motor on it.

Then there is the air supply lines. You have to get a good air water separator. You also want the 3/8 couplers not the 1/4" ones.

I am sure none of the above is what you want to hear. I tried to do the paint on the cheap, it does not work.
Okay I just want to make a few comments on the last couple of posts... one yes my compressor keeps up with the gun... in fact it takes a little while before it kicks back in.... also I am not doing this for a living or plan on doing a whole lot of painting.. I am doing this to finish my car... You know it is funny how many people are just so negative..that won't work , this won't work, you don't have enough light, you don't have this you don't have that.. and running your hand over a car as you blow it.... what are you doing looking for fish eyes? I am far far far from a pro hardly even a novice... but you know if you put oils from you hands on a car you paint will not bond properly.... I am tring to paint one car not start a buisness... lets help each other out not try make others feel inferior... and what is a little overspray anyway??? easily fixed right?? I have seen cars come from state of the art booths with over spray... and I have also seem some of the best paint jobs done in some ones back yard.... so lets not get carried away.. I sure most of you can run circles around me as far as what you know about painting... but so what .. I am sure I can run circles around you with what I know about cars in general... but I am not one to gloat or try to make someone else feel as if they are inferior ... so If comment aren't to help someone with getting a prodject done... lets just keep them to ourselves...
Old 08-28-2009, 05:35 PM

hey, i've seen some of the best show quality jobs come out of a wet floor right in the middle of a nasty dirty body shop. I would agree that you need more lights..lighting is everything. Maybe add 2 intake holes on the opposite end, filtered of course, to keep the air moving. When you start clearing it will fog up QUICK...nothing like spraying primer or basecoat.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

I am using a ss paint.. so I won't be clearing ... I do have a flood light but it is halogen, will put out a lot of heat.... acutally you can see pretty well in there belive it or not... maybe when I shoot my ss I will put the flood light in there...
Old 08-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Atichargr;

I am wondering how much you have into this booth, if you don't mind me asking?

Scholman
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholman
Atichargr;

I am wondering how much you have into this booth, if you don't mind me asking?

Scholman
well the temp garage is where I store my 92 mustang it cost me about 450.00 I decided to use it to paint my 29 model a... the fans 14.00 bucks each, the lights I think were around 23.00 each and the tarp for the floor was 35.00 .. so basically I turned my storage of my mustang into by paint booth... I am sure there is cheaper ways of doing it... but I had to have a totally enclosed space to store my mustang for insurance purposes.. so it serves to purposes..

Last edited by atichargr; 08-29-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Last wiki edit: First paint job Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I used a Harbor Freight canopy ($150) and covered it with clear plastic so the natural light could come in. It worked pretty well and the 2 box fans kept it pretty clear when I shot CC.
Info and lots of pictures here:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html

If you are going to do this make sure you have the proper safety equipment.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron

Last edited by 66 Restomod; 08-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Restomod
I used a Harbor Freight canopy ($150) and covered it with clear plastic so the natural light could come in. It worked pretty well and the 2 box fans kept it pretty clear when I shot CC.
Info and lots of pictures here:
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id24.html

If you are going to do this make sure you have the proper safety equipment.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
Ron, thankyou for someone just looking to help.. well I have shot spi epoxi in there so far and it worked pretty well, and I actually have a fresh air hood so I am in good shape there once again thanks

simon
Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

paint gun

My nephew painted a car for a friend and his compressor wouldn't heep up with his gun ,with the starting and stopping he didn't get an even coat. I have 4 paint guns and they vary in the air requirements. If yours is matched that's good. every body here tries to offer suggestions so you won't have problems. I have seen an entire car painted, inside door jams', under hood. , engine compartment, flash coat in wheel wells , inside the trunk'... in 6 minutes in the factory, 3 teams , one minute each person...paint and booth air temperature closely controlled alot depends on your equipment.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.