Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Temporary topcoat
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Temporary topcoat

I just bought a new projectÖ Itís mostly straight but it has some exposed bondo on the rear quarters that just canít stay that way, though I donít expect the car to get a real paint job for a couple of years.

The current plan is to fix the quarters, roll the fender lips, prime and then cover with something so that the car can be driven/left outside without worrying about water soaking into the body work.

The question is what to use for the temporary top coat that will protect the body work, look OK, cheap and not interfere with the real paint job when that comes along. The car is sort of a burgundy, and even red oxide primer primer is a good enough match so it doesnít look bad, and between the dark color and the amount of black on the car already I could get away with a semi gloss black. I donít know if any red oxide primer is going to keep the water out, duplicolor does seem to sell a red oxide primer/sealer in a spray can, but Iím not sure I trust that.

I originally thought about using some spray can touch up paint, but quickly found that even though it was a common color in the 80ís, no one seems to sell it now. Other things that Iíve been considering are maybe some rustolium (they have a red thatís close, and otherwise, semi gloss black will work fine, and I know that it will protect it but I donít know what the consequeces will be when I get around to really painting it. As a last choice, Iíve considered having the local bodyshop supply mix up some matching paint (I donít know what the smallest amount is, maybe a pint or a quart?), it would probably look the best, and be the ďsafestĒ but also, by far the most expensive with any of the modern paints (I used to do this with lacquer which kept costs down, but I doubt that you can even get it anymore).

Anyone have any opinions? Any other ideas what to use?