ten flywheels 30or 40 starters two enginesand cars why? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 12:00 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

ten flywheels 30or 40 starters two enginesand cars why?

Chevy starters use two bolts, and a brace to hold the [starter] in place on engine block. you know how they bolt up otherwise stop reading you cant help me. the outer bolt hole has completely stripped out and a small piece of the block broke off rite there. The bolt blew out the side of block. my other bolt hole for the starter the inner bolt hole I enlarged one bolt size bigger . My problem is how can i put a starter on with one bolt.??? i cant . can studs be welded in place of the bolt holes???? can cast iron be welded on??so with out a starter on my truck i push start it ..... always parking one tire up on the curb ..[when you let the brake off and push in the clutch with the one tire on the curb you will roll off fast enough to bump start the engine.. ....I CANT EXPLAIN HOW I GOT THIS PROBLEM SO DON'T ASK!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by twotall2x; 05-07-2007 at 03:38 AM. Reason: I need help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 01:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I don't know. Maybe if I could read what you are typing it might help.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have a theory on this, as he's typing, these red squiggly lines keep showing up, after the first dozen rage starts to set in and it is an all out race to the end of the post. All of the time thinking, what the H_LL is going on here.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

...............''''''',,,,,,""""""""??????!!!!!((# *#))+=-_ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

That is a beginner's post writing kit with capital letters and punctuation marks and a spell check button. You can use each character as many times as you'd like to construct a readable post, they are easily duplicated. I've included extras just in case you lose or somehow break some.

More characters are available. Find them for FREE on your keyboard.

I drove my '63 Econoline van for 3 months one time with no starter. I never tried parking one wheel on a curb, that's a good idea though.

Later, MIKEY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spell check button.gif
Views:	291
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	20968  

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:

The members on this site are very helpfull but they have to understand what you are saying and what help you want.

"my 75 camero broke both bolt holes on the block,"
What bolt holes, there are more than two bolt holes in a block ( I assume this is a Chevy block that your Camaro somehow broke the bolt holes in - did you run over the block with your Camaro?) I have never seen a hole broken before although I have seen broken bolts. I have also seen stripped threads in the block.

"some drilling long all-threads and a nitrous bang solved that one."
Why did you drill the long allthreads out? And why did you use a nitrous bang to solve your broken bolt holes.

"my truck motor is new about one year. Snapping 4 sets of bolts, have dealer receipt to prove it."
Why would the dealer give you a receipt if he snapped 4 sets of your bolts. They usually just replace them free of charge if they break them.

"Warranted 9 starters at checkers,their limit."
Most companies warranty all their products. Why does checkers just warranty the first nine? Do they think if they give you the tenth one you won't come back?

"My outer bolt hole stripped and broke,the inner hole is one step bigger. why does this keep happening? I've shimmed I've triple checked clearances. The camero was fixed with a smaller flywheel no angled bolt pattern{witch is GM dumbest idea ever the fiero is a better design}my truck has a5 speed so for now ipush start it every day always parking one tire on the curb help!!![38 inch tires role off curbs real fast."

Sorry, I give up! Maybe someone else can figure out what you are saying.

By the way this is how you spell CAMARO!!!!! If you look on your trunk you can always find out how to spell it.

Of coarse all this could just be ........
Old 05-06-2007, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

Sounds like there's all-thread where the outer starter bolt used to be, and the starter is wiggling around and stripping gear teeth on both the starter and the flywheel.

Is there still a front brace on the starter?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:26 AM

Making Fun Of SomE One Is Not Cooll Homebrew

The members on this site are very helpfull but they have to understand what you are saying and what help you want.

"my 75 camero broke both bolt holes on the block,"
What bolt holes, there are more than two bolt holes in a block ( I assume this is a Chevy block that your Camaro somehow broke the bolt holes in - did you run over the block with your Camaro?) I have never seen a hole broken before although I have seen broken bolts. I have also seen stripped threads in the block].[VERY GOOD WHAT MADE YOU THINK IT WAS A CHEVY? THE QUESTION IS ABOUT THE STARTER I COULD SEE HOW YOU MUST OF THOUGHT OF YOUR BUT HOLE BEING STRIPPED AND NOT THE STARTER BOLT HOLES BEING BROKE.
"some drilling long all-threads and a nitrous bang solved that one."
Why did you drill the long allthreads out? And why did you use a nitrous bang to solve your broken bolt holes.[THROTTLE IN A BOTTLE,JUICE WHAT EVER . TRY THIS SOMETIME ASSUMING YOU CAN A DO ABURNOUT, INSTALL A LARGE NITROUS SYSTEM ON YOUR CAR, THEN DO A BURNOUT WHEN THE TIRE SMOKE LIMITS ALL VISION PUSH THE BUTTON TO LET THE NITROUS INTO THE MOTOR THERE IS ALOUD BANG SOUND LOTS OF STUFF BREAK OR BLOWS UP YOU WILL LOVE IT
"my truck motor is new about one year. Snapping 4 sets of bolts, have dealer receipt to prove it."
Why would the dealer give you a receipt if he snapped 4 sets of your bolts. They usually just replace them free of charge if they break them.
[YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP YOUR RECEIPT'SWHEN YOU BUY THINGS ...TAX REASONS]"Warranted 9 starters at checkers,their limit."
Most companies warranty all their products. Why does checkers just warranty the first nine? Do they think if they give you the tenth one you won't come back? []SO YOUR TELL'ING ME THAT IF I PAY 200 DOLLARS FOR A STARTER FROM YOU THAT EVERY TIME IT BREAKS NOMAD ER IF ITS MY FAULT OR NOT YOU WILL GIVE ME A NEW ONE!!! SEND ME A CATALOG]
"My outer bolt hole stripped and broke,the inner hole is one step bigger. why does this keep happening? I've shimmed I've triple checked clearances. The camero was fixed with a smaller flywheel no angled bolt pattern{witch is GM dumbest idea ever the fiero is a better design}my truck has a5 speed so for now ipush start it every day always parking one tire on the curb help!!![38 inch tires role off curbs real fast."

Sorry, I give up! Maybe someone else can figure out what you are saying.

By the way this is how you spell CAMARO!!!!! If you look on your trunk you can always find out how to spell it.
]YOU WOULD KNOW.. CAUSE YOUR SLOW[/QUOTE]
Of coarse all this could just be
Old 05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Stuck in the past.

Last photo:

You can not use studs, you will not get the nose of the starter in place. It is possible to weld cast, you need to have a professional do it as it needs to be done in a certain way to work. I am not sure but depending on how bad the outer bolt broke through the block you may be able to drill and tap it deeper. It may be time to look for a new block. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

New blocks are cheaper than it costs to have it welded. Heck, an entire engine is probably cheaper than it costs to have it welded.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:43 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

this issue ahs been discussed here before

Try this link for a possible fix:
Starter Bolt Hole Fix?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:24 PM

thank you

YESS!!!! if it wasn't dark out side I would be out there trying that fix thank you novajohnb. I did try a bracket once that used the oil pan bolts and crossed over the nose cone and was bolted to the frame, plus the bracket went up the side of nose cone to be bolted at the bell housing worked great , but big tires , 5 speed manual tranny every time i hit the gas the motor would twist yanking the starter almost off
Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:

Check your motor and tranny mounts. Tranny mounts can appear to be ok, put some pressure on the trans with a jack, start lifting slowly, make sure the rubber is not seperated from the mount. Twisting running gear is not a good thing. Dan
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I have seen this many times. It is almost always from misalignment and eventually loose bolts. I don't think you can get the starter on over studs. Welding the block in the car would be tough. What I did do for a guy once, worked good for quite a while; well he still had the inner hole so I carved a piece of hardwood to wedge in between the starter and the block so the starter couldn't kick over. He drove it that way for a couple years until he pulled the engine.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:37 AM

lol...lol.. yes i did that trick once on my camaro started out with a tape measure.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

If you can't fix the engine block.........

and if it is a standard trans??? Then use a chevy truck bell housing from a mid 60s to maybe 1972??. Those had the starter that bolted to the bell housing. Then at least it will work rather than junking the block.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.