tender, battery in? out? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 01:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

battery tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46highboypu
Thanks everyone! I have charged the battery up and attached the tender which is giving me a green light. I have decided to leave the battery in for now (or maybe all winter) as I still need to reinstall the rear end and bleed the brakes so I will need to move my hot rod. I'll see how things go with staying charged. Didn't say but the battery is NAPA and I don't have a shutoff but that may be a good thing to put in, or just pull the cables when I don't need to go.

Thanks again for all the help!!
It's a good idea to put the shutoff in, it could keep you from bringing your car home in a trash can. I had a throttle cable break once, it was ss and brand new. the cable fell on my oil pressure sender and started smoking, I had the shutoff right under the dash, reached up and turned it off.
Also saw a car with the lever type brake light switch, the switch just started smoking, he had pull up to the motel at the rod run, came inside and it started smoking, a shutoff saved that one too. so they are a good idea, and only around $25.00. Thats cheap compared to your car.

Bob

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

I purchased the switch from A-Zone and a length of cable with terminals on both ends, hooked the original graoung cqable to the switch and the new cable from the switch to where the old ground (on the eng block) was. works very well. If I drive several days it stays on...... more than that Off etc.... one benifit of the AZ switch it has a removable type key...... helps in theft protection.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
I purchased the switch from A-Zone and a length of cable with terminals on both ends, hooked the original graoung cqable to the switch and the new cable from the switch to where the old ground (on the eng block) was. works very well. If I drive several days it stays on...... more than that Off etc.... one benifit of the AZ switch it has a removable type key...... helps in theft protection.
I will not wire a car without one, and won't put it anywhere that the driver can't get to it from the drivers seat.

Bob

If you are suppose to learn from your mistakes,

why do some people have more than one child?

These Paraprosdokians are not meant to be for anyone.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 AM

Last photo:

in my experience with batteries (not all in the automotive world) anything that says "float" or "trickle" charge on it should be thrown away.. it _WILL_ damage the battery, no matter how low the float rate is.

i found even 100ma float charge will make a standard lead acid battery boil over time and will make sealed gel cell batteries explode. (don't ask how I know).

I found a Shumacher battery charger at AutoZone that was labeled as a 'maintainance' charger, I bought it specifically because it did not use the word 'float' anywhere. it was a $45 battery charger at 10A

the difference is, it cycles on and off in response to the battery's own voltage. if the battery is charged, it shuts off.. no trickle, no float. as the battery voltage begins to drop off, it kicks back in and charges.

I use a lead acid battery for a back-up power source for my 2 way radios that run on 12vdc. that charger has been in use on that battery for 5 years with no hassles
Old 11-30-2010, 04:35 AM
WOW, I could have had a V8!

Last photo:

What do you guys think about the Deltran brand "Battery Tender Junior"?
It says it switches automatically from charge to float.
Jon
http://1972vega.wordpress.com/
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon72vega
What do you guys think about the Deltran brand "Battery Tender Junior"?
It says it switches automatically from charge to float.
Jon
Great unit, I have several on generator, and my hot rod.

Vince
Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8oye
anything that says "float" or "trickle" charge on it should be thrown away.. it _WILL_ damage the battery, no matter how low the float rate is.

Nope not true my experience says not so..

What type of charger do you think your cell phone and any other rechargeable device you may be using has?

Your just kidding with that statement, I am LOL ...
Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

every cell phone I have ever owned, contains an intelligent charger that STOPS CHARGING when it's full. even my battery recharging station for my AA, AAA, D cells etc is a smart charger. I've had batteries explode in basic chargers before so i won't use them. i had a float charger cause a sealed gell cell battery to blow all of it's safety vents out because it overcharged it.

put your ear up against a battery that's been on a float charger for a while, I bet you will hear it fizzing inside.. thats the electrolyte boiling...
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

tendor

Well I have had them on my fishing boat since I got it, they came with it. They would be charging when my big motor was running, or when I plugged it in on the dock for over night. I don't think a company would put them in a $46,000.00 boat if they were going to blow up batterers, I just changed the batterers that came with it this fall. I even have one on my fish house, those batterers have been in there since 2003.

Bob

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when you say the paint is wet?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Last photo:

well that's why I didn't directly say the batterytenders are junk.. never used one.. I just don't trust anything that says float or trickle. thats all.

the battery that I had explode was a SEALED battery (like you find in a UPS or alarm system) the constant trickle charge made it out-gas and blow the safety caps off.. glad I wasn't in the room when it happened, they let go with some enthusiasm!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Madelectrical has information on Battery Charging And Maintenance and Recharging A Discharged Battery.
Check ´em out.

madelectrical.com
Old 11-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8oye
well that's why I didn't directly say the batterytenders are junk.. never used one.. I just don't trust anything that says float or trickle. thats all.

the battery that I had explode was a SEALED battery (like you find in a UPS or alarm system) the constant trickle charge made it out-gas and blow the safety caps off.. glad I wasn't in the room when it happened, they let go with some enthusiasm!
Any battery will blow up if the gas can't get out, no matter what kind of chargers on it.

Bob 35terraplane
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Last photo:

Having been in the radio control aircraft hobby going on 50 years I have vast experience with lead acid, NICAD, NIMH, and LIPO batteries. A properly sized float or trickle charge on a battery will not harm it, quite the contrary it will help to lengthen the life of the battery. If you have had batteries explode while on float charge I submit that charger was not designed for that battery and the float or trickle charge was way too much for the batteries rated amperage. Another cause of an explosion would be the vent system of that battery was inoperative.

This is one of the problems with a site like this, people can come on and make ridiculous statements like that. Upside is people can refute the outrageous statements.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 11-30-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Battery Tech

Hey Ya'll, this is basic reading on battery tech.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_charger
Read this for a bit more technical info on the Battery Tender website. This may get too technical for folks with no electrical background, but may provide some info on smart chargers.
http://batterytender.com/resources/technical-info
And I might add that that some of the smart chargers add a desulfination[sic?] mode by kicker voltage or a high frequency on a time basis. This can extend battery life to 7 yrs. on lead acid batteries in RV service(motorhome,boat,four wheeler, etc.) Read all the tech sections one by one.
Read and learn. olnolan
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Any battery will blow up if the gas can't get out, no matter what kind of chargers on it.

Bob 35terraplane
True, but any battery designed to be recharged will have a gas vent system. If that vent is damaged to the point of not functioning it may explode when recharging. That is one reason you should never solder directly on to the cells of batteries, solder only on welded solder tabs. The heat of soldering will damage the cells vent system. Sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't.

UPS and alarm system batteries are usually lead acid or NICAD, both of which have vent systems. Sealed lead acid batteries will usually have a warning that says "do not charge is a sealed container"

Vince

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.