tender, battery in? out? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 11:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
True, but any battery designed to be recharged will have a gas vent system. If that vent is damaged to the point of not functioning it may explode when recharging. That is one reason you should never solder directly on to the cells of batteries, solder only on welded solder tabs. The heat of soldering will damage the cells vent system. Sometimes you get away with it and sometimes you don't.

UPS and alarm system batteries are usually lead acid or NICAD, both of which have vent systems. Sealed lead acid batteries will usually have a warning that says "do not charge is a sealed container"

Vince
Vince I did mean to put in my post if the vent was plugged, got a phone call, and I didn't go back and read my post. Thank you for bringing that up, I left right after it was posted.

Bob

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Vince I did mean to put in my post if the vent was plugged, got a phone call, and I didn't go back and read my post. Thank you for bringing that up, I left right after it was posted.

Bob

Vince
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

erm... sealed lead acid batteries are rechargeable.. how else would an alarm system keep them charged? you don't change a $20 battery every 6 months.

after a lot of research, I found out you have to charge them VERY VERY slowly so they don't gas.

that was the only one that popped so I just chalked it up to a bad battery and moved on
Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The key to all of this is a quality charger. One that will taper off to zero charge when not needed. The high end trickle chargers all do this. If you buy a 7 dollar charger it will charge until the charger dies or the battery melts. I have been dealing with SLA batteries for a long time and have never seen one explode. I have seen them leak and have seen a few pop off the venting system caps but have never seen one actually blow up. I have seen a few car batteries explode and it is a scary site to say the least.

Chet
Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

my buddy had a car battery explode in his detached garage that's a good 50 feet from his house.. even in his basement bedroom the 'boom' woke him up...

i certainly would not want to be around one when it went up.. between the plastic and lead shrapnel and flying acid!!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8oye
my buddy had a car battery explode in his detached garage that's a good 50 feet from his house.. even in his basement bedroom the 'boom' woke him up...

i certainly would not want to be around one when it went up.. between the plastic and lead shrapnel and flying acid!!

Back when I was a kid ('bout a hunnerd Years ago), I worked for AAA-one cold morning around 2 AM (it was about 5 degrees) I had to go jump a Car-I was half asleep and hooked the Cables up backward-didn't start, so I went out and shook them trying (or so I thought) to get a better connection. Well, my face was over the Battery and it exploded. I will never forget it, it sounded like a Shotgun going off-luckily I wasn't hurt-
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Last photo:

tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
Back when I was a kid ('bout a hunnerd Years ago), I worked for AAA-one cold morning around 2 AM (it was about 5 degrees) I had to go jump a Car-I was half asleep and hooked the Cables up backward-didn't start, so I went out and shook them trying (or so I thought) to get a better connection. Well, my face was over the Battery and it exploded. I will never forget it, it sounded like a Shotgun going off-luckily I wasn't hurt-
Back when you had to take the caps off when you charged them, a buddy was in automotive class, went over to check his battery on the charger, bumped the cable, caused a spark, and proceeded to plant the whole battery top in the ceiling. He never got hurt.

Bob
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Last photo:

Only two ways a lead acid battery will explode. One is if the vents are not working and it is overcharged or heavily discharged. The other is if while charging a spark occurs as when someone fiddles with one of the charging clamps that creates a spark then the hydrogen gas generated from charging will ignite.

Vince
Old 12-03-2010, 06:05 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

8-d Battery Explosion

About 45 years ago I had an 8-D (heavy equipment) battery blow up in my face while hooking up jumper cables and I was bent over it. My face was covered in battery acid, (I was wearing safety glasses) but we flushed my face for several minutes and I did not get any facial scaring which is remarkable, because a piece of the flying battery case scratched the back of my hand, and I couln't tell that it even broke the skin, but 15 years later I still have a very visible 1/8" wide by 3" long scar
Old 12-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

today's lesson... never put your face over something that could go *pop* lol

i had a buddy who was helping me complete a cam swap.. we got it all back to gether. getting ready to make the initial start and get the timing set right... I told him.. whatever you do, DO NOT put your face over the carb... so what's he do? puts his face right over the carb.. I blew his eyebrows right off his face with a healthy fireball from the carb.. i was too busy wetting my pants with laughter to ask him if he was ok
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

A dissenting opinion. Just disconnect the battery. It will hold a charge, if it is even marginally good.

I work on water ski boats. the ones I work on have been winterized now, and the battery is disconnected. In the spring, when I start to recommission them, I usually just hook the battery cable up, and they start.

I just went out and started a 1974 Ford pickup, that was last ran the end of October. It started right up. I do remember coming home late, and noticing a dome light on, and just turned it off. I did not recharge the battery then, just turned the dome light off.

I also started a 1970 Datsun 521 pickup I have. It was last ran in the summer, I guess. The battery was last used in August, working on an electric start riding lawnmower. It has just been sitting. The Datsun started with a miss, after getting some fuel into the carburetter, and ran. I found a spark plug wire the a rodent had for lunch, replaced the plug wire, and the miss was gone.

My opinion, if you do not have an electrical drain, you do not need a trickle charger. If you have an electrical drain, you need to fix that.
Fix the root cause of the problem. Do not cover up a symptom pointing you at the real issue.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8oye
today's lesson... never put your face over something that could go *pop* lol

i had a buddy who was helping me complete a cam swap.. we got it all back to gether. getting ready to make the initial start and get the timing set right... I told him.. whatever you do, DO NOT put your face over the carb... so what's he do? puts his face right over the carb.. I blew his eyebrows right off his face with a healthy fireball from the carb.. i was too busy wetting my pants with laughter to ask him if he was ok
Should have had the distributor in right

Vince
Old 12-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Last photo:

getting the dist. in right on the first try is the one thing I've never been able to master lol.. usually takes me a few tries. but oh well.

I agree with disconnecting the battery.. but a battery will go dead on it's own over time from it's internal resistance.. it takes time, but it will happen. the other problem is how cold it is. if you store the battery in an unheated barn in a Michigan winter for example, it's asking for trouble.

i usually pull the battery out of the riding mower and just store it in the basement, or now that the garage is heated, i store it in there.. then in the spring it's happy and ready to go :>
Old 12-04-2010, 03:47 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

[QUOTE=kc8oye]getting the dist. in right on the first try is the one thing I've never been able to master lol.. usually takes me a few tries. but oh well.

QUOTE]
Lucky me . I mastered that the first time when I was 15. Points were easier though, you could just use a test light .The most that I've been off was 17 degrees , but even that was close enough too start . Couldn't pass up a chance to brag just a little. LOL....Allan
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM

A float charger is necessary on all the newfangled vehicles that are
made now. They all have about a 6-8 ma drain caused by the onboard
electronics. The car manufacturers design them so the drain is small
enough so the car will still start after sitting for 30 days. (This allows
for long-term parking in airport parking lots.)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.