tender, battery in? out? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Last journal entry: #137-3 A great spring day
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tender, battery in? out?

I guess there is more than one question here. I have a Battery Tender and used it all last winter with the battery out of my hot rod. The battery was stored in an unheated garage. Spring came and the battery wouldn't take a charge after it was down. Replaced it. So my first question is would it be better to take the battery out and take it in to a warm place to keep it on the tender? I'm fairly sure that I have a power leak some where that I've never been able to find. If the hot rod sits for more than a few days now (it's cold out) then the battery is very low or dead. So there is a draw on it. My next question is, will that adversely affect the tender trying to keep the charge up, and then would be better to remove it? I've been trying to start it up every day or so but I don't like to just let it idle...the rear axle is out of right now so can't drive. Last question, is it better to get the battery fully charged then put it on the tender? I know these things are for maintainance and not for chargeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Tender Output

Could be your battery tender output is less than the draw from whatever it is thats running your battery down. Alot of the tenders only output less than one amp. Try disconnecting the battery, charge it full(12.6 volts) then put the tender on with the battery disconnected. Bottom line is find the slow drain. Hope this helps. olnolan
Old 11-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

tender battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46highboypu
I guess there is more than one question here. I have a Battery Tender and used it all last winter with the battery out of my hot rod. The battery was stored in an unheated garage. Spring came and the battery wouldn't take a charge after it was down. Replaced it. So my first question is would it be better to take the battery out and take it in to a warm place to keep it on the tender? I'm fairly sure that I have a power leak some where that I've never been able to find. If the hot rod sits for more than a few days now (it's cold out) then the battery is very low or dead. So there is a draw on it. My next question is, will that adversely affect the tender trying to keep the charge up, and then would be better to remove it? I've been trying to start it up every day or so but I don't like to just let it idle...the rear axle is out of right now so can't drive. Last question, is it better to get the battery fully charged then put it on the tender? I know these things are for maintainance and not for chargeing.
When you had it out what was it sitting on? Do you have a battery shutoff on the car? That will stop the drain down while it's sitting, it won't fix the problem of it draining down, and putting it where it's warm would sure help, and yes you should have a full charge on it, the tender only puts Milli- amps out,

35terraplane

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Old 11-27-2010, 02:44 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
When you had it out what was it sitting on? Do you have a battery shutoff on the car? That will stop the drain down while it's sitting, it won't fix the problem of it draining down, and putting it where it's warm would sure help, and yes you should have a full charge on it, the tender only puts Milli- amps out,

35terraplane

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Voices ? You hear voices ? Me too . Setting a battery on a concrete floor will discharge it . Don't ask me why , but I always set the battery on a couple of pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 .
Old 11-27-2010, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Voices ? You hear voices ? Me too . Setting a battery on a concrete floor will discharge it . Don't ask me why , but I always set the battery on a couple of pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 .
That's why I asked what he was setting it on.

Hi Allen Have a good turkey day.

Bob

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
That is not true of modern batteries. That was true many years ago with the older batteries. Plastic cased batteries are unaffected by what they are placed on. It amazes me how often I still hear this, just one of those things that gets passed down I guess.

Here is a link to explain why it did and why it doesnt now.
battery Myth

The thing that is very damaging to lead acid batteries is being allowed to go completely flat.

Chet
Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM
NUCKINFUTS MOTORSPORTS

thanks tbucket , you can't believe how many times people still say that. just to add to 46highboys thought process.......a discharged battery will freeze quickly and when they do, their NEVER the same again. A fully charged battery will not freeze. test the battery and if ok then put a long slow charge to it, till its fully charged, put the tender on it (in the car) shut the bat. switch off. idling you engine will actually take out of the battery more than it puts back. an alternator is a battery maintainer, not a charger.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Ive had the battery tender on my car for a good 5 years or more now in NYC (hot and cold). Its hooked to my battery which is never disconnected from the car and sometimes sits for a month or 2 during the winter unused (I know its sad) and never had a problem with my same battery which is a yellow optima battery

Several times Ive backed out of the garage with the battery tender still connected which my extension cords were not happy with however.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Advanced Auto sells a disconnect switch for about 18 bucks...... can't seem to find the slow drain on my Bimmmer either....lol
Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: LED tail lights
Last photo:

I'm a fan of battery minders for cars that don't get run for weeks or months at a time.
A small drain like remote doors locks will not exceed the capacity of the battery minder.
However, any other parasitic drain must be resolved or the battery will be drained and not last very long.

vicrod
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Last photo:

The Battery Tender I have on my 34 says the float charge is 750ma. It has been sufficient so far and I sometimes go several weeks without driving the car.

Vince
Old 11-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

Here is a way to bring Optima style batteries back from the dead but they don´t say if it will work on regular style batteries that have completely discharged.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

I am a firm believer in removing the battery from the system before attaching a charger or any type.

Chet
Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Here is a way to bring Optima style batteries back from the dead but they don�t say if it will work on regular style batteries that have completely discharged.
Good read thanks I will know now ...

Battery tender, here is what I do. The tender comes with two pink tails, one has the standard alligator clips and the other lug type.

My battery is in the trunk, I use the lug connector and route the plug to an external location out and under. I pull in and just plug the tender up and I am done, simple as that. The tender has a permanent home on the wall next to a receptacle, you need to unplug from AC when making the battery connection.

On the wife's hot rod I have an acid or wet if you like battery up and under frame mounted, same deal on the lug connector.

The battery went dead, ignition was left on. Would not show a reading on the dash mounted volt meter. The battery tender brought it back up to a full charge, granted it took almost a week , however 500 to 800 milliamperes an hour and an 100 amp battery does take a few minutes..

All in all a great product had at least one over the last 25 years, now got 3.

Last edited by pepi; 11-28-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Last journal entry: #137-3 A great spring day
Last photo:

Thanks everyone! I have charged the battery up and attached the tender which is giving me a green light. I have decided to leave the battery in for now (or maybe all winter) as I still need to reinstall the rear end and bleed the brakes so I will need to move my hot rod. I'll see how things go with staying charged. Didn't say but the battery is NAPA and I don't have a shutoff but that may be a good thing to put in, or just pull the cables when I don't need to go.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.