test Ball's remote transmitter and receiver - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

test Ball's remote transmitter and receiver

I have a Ball's 4 channel remote transmitter and receiver for use with power windows. The power windows do not function when using the transmitter. All switches/wiring/relays are good. The 6 transmitter batteries were tested good at Radio Shack. Any way to test the transmitter and receiver?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR
I have a Ball's 4 channel remote transmitter and receiver for use with power windows. The power windows do not function when using the transmitter. All switches/wiring/relays are good. The 6 transmitter batteries were tested good at Radio Shack. Any way to test the transmitter and receiver?

Doc here,

Does your Transmitter and receiver have "codes" for each channel? and if so, are the correctly set?

Make sure all power and ground wires are connected to the Rec Unit..

IF it (b oth sides) have reset buttons (may be hidden) reset them and try again.

For the transmitter , get an AM radio, tune it to a clear channel, then set the fob close by it, activate the transmitter, it should buzz or whine in the AM radio If the transmitter is working, if not get NEW batterys..try again, if still in-op, get a new unit.

If transmitter works, and the receiver is properly hooked up, you have a bad reciever..get a new one.

Doc
Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Doc. I've called Ball's Rod and Kustom a couple of times last week but they haven't returned my call. This is an older unit of theirs - maybe 15 years old. The troubleshooting suggestions on their website seem to apply to a newer/codeable unit. Each battery tests out at 1.575 volts. A new one costs $5 so that's $30 for new batteries. A new transmitter/receiver is $100 so I'm reluctant to get new batteries. I'm sitting here with the receiver and transmitter in my hands - don't see any way to enter a code or reset on either device. I can remove a little plastic cover from the receiver and I see a number inside - same number is inside the transmitter - 1231332. There is a green light on the transmitter which will go on if I press any of the 4 buttons - so I'm assuming it's working. Put an AM/FM radio on AM and tried your suggestion with a known good transmitter and couldn't get it to work as you described. With the receiver out of the car I put power and ground to the appropriate pins then pressed the transmitter buttons - no sound. Hooked up a meter to pins 4 and 5 (these are the ones wired to the relay coils) and pressed the transmitter looking for 12v out of the pins but nothing.
What do you think Doc, need to spend the $100?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Sounds like the transmitter may be dead OR WAYYY off frequncy...

It should make noise on a Clear channel AM radio..(unless it like 2.4 GHZ..but at 15 years old, that wasn't too popular a Frequency then..)

The numbers, 1231332, are they ON or above a DIP switch (Duel in-line Pin switch or Mini Rocker switch) ? and... If so are the Rockers Identical to one another on the Transmitter and Receiver? (I.E, transmitter rocker 1, up, recv rocker 1 up, transmitter rocker 2 down, recv rocker down , Ect..) that would set the codes if so..and MUST match on both to work.. Look and see if that is the way it is set up..and If it matches. If so..

You probably have a dead Transmitter unit...(BTW, the receiver unit won't make noise on a clear channel AM, only an AM and it must be Close to it..) Only the transmitter fob.. perhaps, one last Thing to try..

Look on the circuit board for the receiver, Look for a "Mini Relay" ..It will be a small square Plastic "Box" smaller than a dime..probably Blue or white in color..

[IMG][/IMG]

Push the transmitter and lister or "Feel" if it clicks..If not detected, invert the board, the bottom will have a "Pin " arrangement on the board..it will be like 6 or more pins..in two rows..TWO of those pins will be spaced about a pin width away from all the rest..THOSE are the relay coil..

Count the number of battery's you have in the unit and multiply by 1.5 volts..then meter across that relay, while pushing the transmitter..It should read that voltage..If not the RF units are dead..If so the relay is open..

At $100 Fazools..I'd toss the unit, especially If it comes with new battery's..with luck it will be plug and prey compatible with the older unit plugs..and therefore be a straight swap..

If the company phased the old one out..there was probably a good reason for it..and the new one will at least have some factory support.

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 03-19-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 AM

I have a Balls remote unit and I have found that if the car battery is not fully charged the remote will not work. Check and see if your car battery needs charging.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Bill - no such luck, battery is fully charged but thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Doc - don't want to beat a dead horse (or transmitter) but I'm learning so one more thing if you don't mind. Here's a picture of my receiver and transmitter - there are no dip switches in either (nothing that could be manually flipped). Lower middle to lower right of receiver are 4, what look to be relays (2 white and 2 black), they're about 5/8" X 3/4". Am I right, are those relays you think? Also, in my previous post when I said - "With the receiver out of the car I put power and ground to the appropriate pins then pressed the transmitter buttons - no sound" - what I meant was no sound from the receiver was heard (like a clicking relay). I didn't mean I was trying the AM radio test. Sorry about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 018.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	19669   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior 021.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	19670  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

The photos are so blurry I can't tell..but it looks like the black squares are the relays, the metal boxes are RF units..

If right, the black box will have a squiggly line on top, with "coil" and pin numbers on it as well as NO, NC, and CW , designations Usually..

Doc
Old 03-21-2007, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

ok - thanks for your help
Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

15 years ago some companies were buying from the same place that JC Whitney was getting their remote units from, then putting their lables on.

I know one company that would charge 150.00 for their remote setup, and you could buy it from JCW for 19.00.

Here is a suggestion,
We had one unit in a car that would not work right if you disconnected the battery.

You had to unplug the 2 pin connectors the from the unit to reset it. This had to be done with the car battery connected.

Failing that, maybe it's time for you to spend some money.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

Thanks mikey I'll give it a try.

Also, I tried Doc's radio trick with a cheaper AM radio and my transmitter made it buzz.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR
Thanks mikey I'll give it a try.

Also, I tried Doc's radio trick with a cheaper AM radio and my transmitter made it buzz.

Doc here,

If you have that, your transmitter is working..

The problem is in the receive board..Either RF or analog sides..

If you can take a clearer Close up of the board I might be able to give you some points to check to verify if the RF is getting into the board, or an analog circuit has failed..

Doc
Old 03-24-2007, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Doc, thanks, I found out the receiver is shot. Took it to a local auto security shop and he said the distribution center (don't quote me) was fried, he showed me a burned metal strip that broke off when he nudged it. It's the low black rectangular item just below the two clear relays. If you're of a mind, I'd still be interested in hearing what you have to say and checking whatever you suggest. Learned alot so far - even learned how to take a better picture.

problem - I changed my camera settings to get a better picture but this site says my picture is too large now and won't attach it.

Last edited by GMR; 03-24-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: missing picture
Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

Sounds like all you have is a burned trace, that can be easily fixed by soldering a jumper over the ends of the trace that have opened or even hard wiring a wire from point to point on the trace ..

Try setting your camera to 680 pixels..and take another photo..If you can't get it, sign up over at photobucket . com for a free upload account, It will automatically resize them (to their format) THEN all you need to do is copy and past the [img] my photo.jpg[/img] statement below the picture on photo bucket and paste it in your post here..the picture will automatically show up here..

Try that, shoot me some picts and I'll try to help you on-line to repair it if possible.

EXAMPLE: right click on the photo, then properties, then read the addy, ..

Doc
Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Hey Doc, GMR can load the bigger pics into his photo gallery here also, that's where I put the bigger pics that I need to hog up my posts with. It says there is no file limit size. Then follow Docs instructions , right click the pic in the photo gallery when it's loaded, select properties,,copy it to the image inserter thingy, ( you know, the little box with the mountain and sun ),

And then the image is on the post... The cool thing about that is that he doesn't need to open a photobucket account and it is still BIG SIZE for us blind folks...

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerrodsmike
Hey Doc, GMR can load the bigger pics into his photo gallery here also, that's where I put the bigger pics that I need to hog up my posts with. It says there is no file limit size. Then follow Docs instructions , right click the pic in the photo gallery when it's loaded, select properties,,copy it to the image inserter thingy, ( you know, the little box with the mountain and sun ),

And then the image is on the post... The cool thing about that is that he doesn't need to open a photobucket account and it is still BIG SIZE for us blind folks...

Later, mikey
Doc here,

Mikey,

KEWL! I didn't know that..

I use the bucket because I have over 500 diagrams and pic''s to load..PB wishes I'd never signed up (bandwidth hog.. ) every month or so, I get nasty~grams to reduce the uploads or be shut off for an equal amount of time (in band width)..

I expect this thanksgiving to get a "HAM' in the mail from them.. (hog of the year award)

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.