test the new photo album - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

test the new photo album

The new Hotrodders Photo Album is ready for some user testing. If you'd like to test out the new album, please read below, and then use the link at the bottom of this post to try out the new album.

The new album addresses the following member requests:

1. Ability to sort photos (you can sort photos by Most Active, Latest, Most Views, Most Popular, Least Popular, Image Name, Title, or you can do a random sort).

2. Ability to create sub-albums to organize your photos.

3. Ability to easily locate albums by searching on usernames.

4. Ability to mass-upload photos (you can upload a zip file of hundreds of photos or more).

The new album also contains the following improvements:

1. When you are browsing the albums, you can tag any photo as one of your favorites. This will add it to a list of your favorite photos.

2. Most recent uploads, and most popular photos, are displayed on the main album page.

3. Ability to search photos by keyword. When you upload your photos, you can add a few relevant keywords. When people search on those keywords, your photos will come up.

4. Multimedia (videos, sound clips) uploads.

5. Ability to make comments on photos. All comments are moderated, so none of them will appear next to photos until they are approved.

6. Advanced moderating options. As the album grows, we may need to approve photos before they are uploaded, to prevent abuse of the album. The new album contains the functionality to do this.

7. Photo slide shows.

This is a test phase. This means we can expect mistakes, errors, bugs, and some frustration as people adjust to the new controls. Questions, errors, etc., can go in the Hotrodders Q&A forum, or in this thread.

COMMON QUESTIONS

Q: Will the albums link to our avatars, as on the old board?
A: Probably either your avatars, or we will add a gallery button next to your profile, pm, search, and buddy buttons that appear under your posts.

Q: The other album let me upload 3 photos at a time. This album only allows 1. What gives?
A: If you like, you can upload 100 photos at once. You must first make them into a single zip file, then upload that file. Making a zip file is a very simple procedure, you can use WinZip or ZipIt for this. Using zip files for multiple photo uploads is a more efficient way to place photos in the album, and it does not significantly bog down the server. However, we may still end up allowing multiple single uploads.

Q: Will I have to transfer all of my photos from the old album to this one?
A: Yes. I'm sorry for the annoyance, but automotically transferring everyone's photos over was not feasible. This will give you a chance to clear out your old album. If you have no idea how to do this, don't worry, it will be explained to you (it's easy).

Our new album is slated to serve as both a listing of member albums, and a listing of photos from hot rod shows. The zip file upload feature will allow us to place 100 or more photos from a single show in the album, with just one click.

The new album is at the link below:

here

Just Start Clicking Stuff. Experiment, you're not going to break anything. On the right-hand side of your screen, you should see a link that says "Upload Photos". If not, you probably need to login, in which case you'll see a "Login" link.

Thanks for testing .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2003, 02:05 PM
banned

Wiki Edits: 0

Jon I tried using a URL to upload from my old album. it said to notify you. I take it I'm not allowed
Old 07-06-2003, 02:25 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Jon, if we get rid of our old photo album what about any links to that album in older posts? How long before you shut down the old albums?

Old 07-06-2003, 02:48 PM

stonedchihuahua -- need more detail. You tried to upload a photo from a url? What was the exact error message?

dmorris1200 -- once the photo album is shut down, old links to it will not work. However, we can just keep the old photos on our server, so that anytime someone posted a photo from their album on the board, it will still display. Not sure how long until the old album shuts down, but I'll make it very public with plenty of time for everyone to adjust. I think I'm even going to send out a mass email to everyone on the board, notifying them about the need to transfer their photos over.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:55 PM
banned

Okay, Here is what I did, i inserted the URL of a phot from my photo album in the upload line to see if it would do it. When I clicked upload. It said "please contact the server administrator" I dunno if I was supposed to try and do that, but I did cuz I'm lazy and like to break stuff
Old 07-06-2003, 03:46 PM

Ah. You can't upload a photo from the old album to the new album directly like that. You can download all of your photos from the old album to a single folder on your desktop, then make a zip archive out of that folder, and upload it all in one step.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Very nice Jon! I like the delete feature, in case you upload the wrong photo, or the wrong version. I also like the idea of uploading several photos via Zip file, very handy.

Maybe I'll actually have some hot rod photos one of these days.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Jon I tried to up load some photoe today, even resized they would not go??

Troy
Old 07-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

Jon

That is a sweet album setup, I wanted to try the zip upload feature, created a zip file, uploaded the whole thing in one shot & it let me caption the pix almost all at once, it was nice.

Here is the album I threw together to test

Every single photo was uploaded in one Zip File. I'm really impressed.

EDIT: I just played with the slideshow feature, it works great too, I just need to orgainze the pix so that they go in the same order as how I built the project and then you will be able to see it in sequential order from start to finish ( it ain't finished yet )

Last edited by jamnut; 07-08-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

jamnut,

How do I create a zip file? And then download it?

Troy,
Old 07-08-2003, 09:01 AM

troy -- let me know the exact error messages you're getting, if you can. Also, you should be able to zip files with a program called WinZip on your computer. WinZip.com should have more info on it, it's fairly easy to do.

Nice work jamnut. Yeah, that zip feature is pretty cool. It's going to help a lot with getting show pics up there too, since they can all be done in one action.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

troy-curt

I'll tell you, but you got to let me play with your Show Car in trade. J/K :laugh:

Check your programs & see if you have winzip, if you don't have winzip, you can download it for free HERE , use the Trial version, don't pay for it. If you need help creating a Zip file once you have winzip, just make another post & I'll help.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Ok i`ve got winzip,now what.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:08 PM
Rebuilding AGAIN!!!!

Last photo:

Troy-curt

I'm running WinZip 8.0, but it should be close to what you are running. So if you installed winzip you should either have a winzip Icon on your desktop or it will be in your programs.

So go Start>Programs>Winzip>Winzip8.? & that will open the winzip wizard, once you get to the winzip wizard screen click "Next" there should be 3 little check boxes, check the last box that says "Create a New Zip File" It will give you a line to type the name that you want to give your zip file, name it anything you want to - something like Mycar or Photoalbumstuff or something like that, then click next & it will allow you to click the "Add Files" button and you can go to whatever file you have your pictures stored. To select multiple files you can hold the Ctrl key and clik on multiple pictures and once you select the pictures that you want click ok on the open window and it will close and be back on the winzip window then click Create Zip the winzip Default Setting should put the Zip File in My Documents Then you just have to upload it out of My Documents.

Hope that helps
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

got that working, now how do i down load my old album here at hot rodders. com, so I can move it to the new one.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.