Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A test on primer color vs SOLID base color outcome
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A test on primer color vs SOLID base color outcome

I decided to prove a point on primer color and base color outcome reguarding primer color. Which IMO I believe I have proven that it really does not matter with SOLID colors and as long as you provide proper COVERAGE,it's a mute point.I realize that this is with ONE brand of base,SPI Red, but I find the same to be true with different lines as well.
I made the test panel from scrap sheet metal 3'x2',180 sanded,cleaned and masked off into 1/4's,This is EPOXY primer and with 4 colors.
White,Black,Light Gray,Dark Gray.
Here is the results.

#1 is the test panel with a 400 wet sand.

Second is after the first coat. 1:1 shot with a Iwata LPH-400,1.3 with the purple cap at 20# air,2 3/4 turns out fluid and fan full turned in 3/4 turn.

Another view.

Finished panel. I shut the air down to 15# and around 3 turns out on the fluid and around 1 turn in on the fan. I did this to screw with the psi to see what if any difference it made,which was actually better IMO.This is with 3 coats total then,2 coats of Universial clear as shot,no fixing of anything with my other LPH-400-LV,1.4 at 25# air.

Center shot of the panel.

Black & White end.

Gray's end.

Overall oposite end.

One more from a different angle.

Bottom line is,Coverage IS coverage with SOLID colors and primer color has made NO difference IMO in the overall outcome of THIS color.
I'll check it out tommorow outside and SEE if anything changes,but I doubt it.
FWIW,MikeK.