Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - A test on primer color vs SOLID base color outcome
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some colors are still available as Barry used the last of his stash to finish up what he had. But,Yes it's a done deal for now.
Point I was making is coverage of SOLID colors over different primers and basically,just proving something to myself more than anything.
ANY quality base "should" cover in 3-4 coats IMO and like bob said,if it does not,you could be in for trouble later on.This would be true also doing a panel paint job.Less than complete coverage and your going to have a mismatched POS on your hands.
Then you get into the aspect of color shift in direct sunlight. This "can" be a custom effect and as Barry explained to me with this Red,When shot over White primer with 2 coats will achieve this as the sun goes thru the Red and the white primer brightens it up. Techinal stuff above me at work here as thats the way this base was designed but also addresses the idea of primer affecting the color outcome which goes back to less than complete coverage.
Back to SPI, Like you said Brian, He just had SO much on the plate as well as the fact that SPI sells to "anyone" and Barry being who he is,was just getting a lot of grief and expense from inexperienced and hack painters and decided the base line was more trouble than it was worth. Which is a shame.
Damn good product IMO,especially the SS Black.
Still got the C/F test coming up and if I have time,will do one on Chromabase.