test rebuild trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

test rebuild trans

is their any way to bench teat a transmission befor i put it back into may car i just rebuilt it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

Air pressure testing in an automatic to ensure everything applies and releases as it should is about the most that you can do for the typical backyard/diy rebuilds. Manuals??? not so much other than make sure its assembled correctly.

There are dyno's out there for testing transmissions just for this purpose but unless your a full time rebuilder doing lots of transmissions very few people/shops are going to have anything like that.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 AM

Google air checking. You could assemble the drums on a bench to the front pump and air check it fairly well. Will show you if you have a bad lip or square seal among other things. There's alot of stuff to check. The TH350 handbook has lots of info on this too.

I also pref to pressure check after you've installed the trans.

Good luck!

Greg
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 AM

Oh you didn't say if you rebuilt it or if it's used...

On that note pull the trans pan and look for goo/parts. If you find more than half cup of goo or any parts your trans needs a overhaul.

Could pull the valve body and split it appart (look for a write up, piece of cake) and check for stuck valves, dirt and a bad seperator gasket. Also look at the color, you can see if it leaks (between halfs) it will normally cause it will look all dirty in a area and clean everywhere else. Also run a straight edge on the vb halfs. My C6 had a little spot on the gasket that blew out PLUS the pressure relief spring was broken. I think what happend is the relief spring broke then caused high pressure and broke the gasket.

The trans I've saw either had bad lip seals in the pistons from age and cracking or junk in the VB. I also popped my C6 Servo cover off and a whole glob of goo came out... Also a sign

Greg
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 AM

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th35...ch-145361.html

The picture with the drums assembled on the front pump is one way/part of air checking.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th35...ch-145361.html

You put air into the feed hole to the piston that puts the clutches in and listen for a good thud (clamping the clutches), also should hold air pressure well.

Another part is the I drum that's made into the case (low/reverse?), there is a feed hole in the case going to the drum. You put air there and again listen for a thud.

Time spent in air checking is great cause then you know your seals are good. If your seals are good and your clutch clearance and endplay is in check you're golden (normally).

Greg
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

i already rebuilt the trans its all together on my bench right now so air checking any thing inside isnt going to happen now.

im pretty sure i put it back together right the only thing i might have messed up on is the valve body i might have a part wrong in their but i hope not.

What could happen if their is lent inside the trans and what would happen if i have a part in the valve body in the wrong way.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Lent can cause valves to stick/bind and incorrectly assembled VBody will cause gear apply/shifting problems.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

but their shouldnt be any catastrophic failure from any of that just not pulling right.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM

I personally would just pull the drums out and air check it... Would you rather know now or later that there's a problem? Hardest part about the overhaul IMO was putting the trans in the vehicle, not the rebuild. Heck the drums and everything wanna just pop right out when you pull the pump... Air checking wouldn't be a problem, it's your time and dime though.

Difference between a builder and a assembler is the builder knows that the first time you put something together prob wont be the last. Always mock assemble and if needed take it appart. The assembler tends to bolt things together without double checking.

When I did my overhaul i used a manual. It had the airchecking stuff and lint warning right in the manual... A trans overhaul isn't something to jimmy rig, also is something you should learn about BEFORE you rebuild it... Ever seen one of these explode? Ever wonder why it costs so much to overhaul a trans? It is important to do this right.

Good luck!

Last edited by ekacpuc; 03-28-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

i did use a manual for the trans i didnt just throw everything together it took a month i went very slow if i got stuck i read the manual and even double checked on the internet. I just dont want this to blow up and hurt my car i know their isnt any lent in the valve but their might be some in the clutchs.

If their is lent how long will it take to tell that its cousing problems.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM

It would just be one of those things that'd just happen... Not really a way to guess.

What makes you worry about lint in your clutches? Did you wipe em with a rag or something?

I figure as long as you weren't in there with a paper towel or a rag than you're prob fine... I'd be worried if you used a rag in the valve body, maybe not so much the clutches. They slip for a sec when they engage so MAYBE if there was lint it'd burn it off? I don't gamble if I can help it though.

I'm not a transmission guy though... I love learning about them but have only built one C6. Getting ready to do the TH350 next, they look ALOT alike inside.

Greg

Last edited by ekacpuc; 03-28-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

i cleaned alot of the hard parts and that stuff and wipped it off with shop rags so their might be some in the i didnt use the rags on the valve becouse after i looked in my bucket of cleaner i was seeing some rag lent.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 AM

The way I think of trannys is like a operating room.. If it was me I'd tear it down and clean it, this time with a lint free towel.

It's your road to plow though.

Good luck,
Greg

btw
I dunno what that other guy was talkin about..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM

Last photo:

That Line was copied & pasted from a Post above about the "Dyno", probably a Spammer doing the usual crap to get their Post count up so it doesn't look as slimey when they slip some Spam in.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.