Testdrove a New Duramax - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 12:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Testdrove a New Duramax

The jacked up one with 360 hp and 650 lb ft of torque. One of my friends is in the market for one, and he took me along for my 'expert advice '. Finally we found the higher powered one, most of them were the 310 or 318 or whatever the little ones are kind. Since it was pretty darn cold, had to start the thing up and sit for a while, I made a point to go out and listen to it run. Completely cold, it was still amazingly quiet. The H.O. Dodge I drove, that thing made a terrible racket when cold, you had to yell over the noise if you were standing next to it.
Took it down the road, and there was very minimal windnoise. The allison shifted firmly a couple times, but the salesman said it would due to the temperature of it.
As far as the power..... I wasn't all that impressed. I suppose it was partially the fact that it was an crew cab, but it didn't seem to get up and go. I guess I expected a lot more. Our 01 Cummins feels a lot snappier. I suppose it would show its true colors though if we were both dragging trailers around.
All and all a nice pickup.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2005, 05:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

That's the new Chevy? I was inspecting olives at a receiving station about a month ago when one of the growers drove up in his Gale Banks powered Chevy. He was saying how unhappy he was with performance until he had the Banks turbo set up installed. I thought he was blowing smoke until he left, nailed it the last 60 feet of concrete on about a 10 mph rolling start, Holy Crap! What a screamer! Tires were boiling, ungodly sounds off that exhaust, very impressive, I didn't know a deisel could make that kind of power. Dan
Old 11-17-2005, 12:44 AM

Salesman at one dealership was telling us how the old 300 hp duramax had so much power blah blah. And how the new ones, he'd heard, could spin the tires at 40 mph, once they were broke in. I'll beleive that when I see it.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Velle
Salesman at one dealership was telling us how the old 300 hp duramax had so much power blah blah. And how the new ones, he'd heard, could spin the tires at 40 mph, once they were broke in. I'll beleive that when I see it.

engines normally dont make top hp until they're broken in, that's just what I've been told.

Spinning tires at 40mph? sounds like fun. speaking of that, where's turboS10 been lately? I've heard he can light em up at highway speed. Sicko.

Too bad I can't get that out of my car.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:

probably could do a neutral drop at 40 and smoke them other than that, I doubt it.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 AM

Last journal entry: Completed the side window installation
Last photo:

Quote:
Salesman at one dealership was telling us how the old 300 hp duramax had so much power blah blah. And how the new ones, he'd heard, could spin the tires at 40 mph, once they were broke in.

I'd find me another car salesman to buy from.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:35 AM

Dont worry about that. That guy was kinda 'different' from the other salesman I've ever talked to. And they were really high on the prices compared to other dealers in the area.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.