Testing an engine before purchase? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Okay I came to a conclusion guys...I'm going to stay with the engine I have..found a pair of 049 heads for $150..going to take them to a shop for a valve job and some minor porting..new pistons, victor reinz gaskets as the block I have is a gen v..thanks a lot guys at least now I won't be stressing so much about these decisions..one more question..my goal is to reach between 450- 500hp mark..would I have to rebuild the bottom end or no?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf0926 View Post
Okay I came to a conclusion guys...I'm going to stay with the engine I have..found a pair of 049 heads for $150..going to take them to a shop for a valve job and some minor porting..new pistons, victor reinz gaskets as the block I have is a gen v..thanks a lot guys at least now I won't be stressing so much about these decisions..one more question..my goal is to reach between 450- 500hp mark..would I have to rebuild the bottom end or no?
You'll hit 450 easy. Just get all new bearings, that will be fine. Maybe get the crank checked just in case.
I'd shoot for 9.5:1 compression. Port and polished heads, performer rpm manifold, and a cam with an rpm range starting somewhere between 1200 and 1600 rpm. Will be a nice torquey motor.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Rebuild, or build up?
If you're going to do any machine work you'll always want to rebuild the bottom end, but at 450-500 hp you don't need anything extra beyond a good rebuild. I always have my cranks checked, and turned if needed. I also have all block mains align bored; it's cheap insurance. After that it's just new bearings of good quality. Any good machine shop should check bores and either bore or hone them to whatever piston you'll be using.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

I'm going to take the engine to a reputable shop so that they can check it out for me that way I know what I have to do..btw...what exactly does a rebuild consist of? I know the kit comes with pistons, bearings, rings, gaskets..and a few other things...but other than the rebuild kit...what machine work is actually done to the engine? Perhaps porting and polishing the heads? Or??...
Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Last journal entry: starting to go the right direction
Last photo:

Porting and polishing will be extra. Usually any machining is extra. The rebuild price is basically r&r'ing the parts.
Let the shop do it's stuff before you buy any kit. Until they measure and check everything there is no telling what you will need in what size.
Plus, the shop may be able to get you a better deal on parts than a kit would. Sometimes.
I know there is a lot of info on what a "good" rebuild entails here and other places. Maybe in the books you are getting.
Good luck,
Russ
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

Got it...so one thing is for sure..I'm going to take the heads to a shop to get them ported..if they can give me a fair price on the rebuild I might just take it..if not..then I may just have to take this on myself after I've read a few books and watched some dvds..my friend is rebuilding a 350 so I might go help him out so I can get some idea of what it consists of..thanks u guys have been a great help
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Here's what I have done when I get machine work done on a std. rebuild.
Hot tank and magnaflux the block for cracks. That's always first, so you know you're starting with a good block.
Bore or hone the cylinders, depending on what they need.
Align bore the mains to ensure it's all true and to size.
Size and inspect all the rods. I also have the shop press the new pistons on at that time.
Check the crank and turn as needed.
Clean and check the heads. New valves or refinish the valves. I always use SS valves if they don't have them in the heads, and new hardened seats if they don't have those. Check all the springs, and do a valve job on the heads. New guides and seals.
Once that's done I have them flush the block and install new brass soft plugs, and all the threaded plugs too.
I also have the shop press in all new cam bearings.

When I get it home I fit all the rings to the cylinders they will go in, then install them on the piston/rod for that cylinder. I plastigauge all the bearings, just to double check the shop's work and then install all the new main and rod bearings.
Then just reassemble the rest the pieces, cam, oil pump, lifters, heads, etc, etc.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Last journal entry: starting to go the right direction
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelf0926 View Post
Got it...so one thing is for sure..I'm going to take the heads to a shop to get them ported..if they can give me a fair price on the rebuild I might just take it..if not..then I may just have to take this on myself after I've read a few books and watched some dvds..my friend is rebuilding a 350 so I might go help him out so I can get some idea of what it consists of..thanks u guys have been a great help
The assembly isn't hard as long as you have patience. But if the machine shop work is garbage your engine will be garbage, so make sure to get lots of opinions on the shops in your area before choosing one. Price shouldn't be the number one factor in choosing a place.

Russ

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.