testing turn signal socket??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 01:47 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

testing turn signal socket???

i have a grounding problem, or so i think i do, wondering if i am testing the socket for resistance properly. could someone please give me a quick refresher on testing a socket for resistance.

my problem is ... when turn signal is turned on, blinkers at front of vehicle do not work. blinkers at rear - rt side works as normal, left side blinks but rt side blinks as well(dim). when the headlight switch is pulled on well then there is a whole new set of problems. lol i am in the middle of testing for power throughout the circuit as well as resistance throughout. i did find that a wire feeding power to the front blinker was cut in half. many years ago ignition was a problem and i bypassed everthing to a push button starter. the car is a 76 camaro. if any of this gives anyone some idea of what i should be trying i am looking for anything now. i plan on testing ignition switch and pulling fuse box apart and test all wires there too.
thanks for reading.
keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2005, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

lose of ground??

first check and see if all the black wires to all the sockets are grounded .. if there is not any black wire make sure the socket is getting a goo ground. this can be done with a jumper wire and touch the body of the socket and to ground. also check to see that all of the bulbs are 1157 type bulbs. 1156 bulbs are for back up lights. the bulbs have to be two filament and two contacts on the bottom of the socket . you are losing ground some where. but all sockets have to be checked. if any of the sockets have been replaced make sure they are double contact sockets. if you have any other questions, just write back on the member program or at my home. rjtrow41@yahoo.com . working at a dealer for over 30 years you see all kinds of problems on older cars. good luck Richard
Old 04-09-2005, 10:13 PM

hi richard, thanks for the tips. i will check those things first thing sunday. keeping my fingers crossed.
keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedan delivery
first check and see if all the black wires to all the sockets are grounded .. if there is not any black wire make sure the socket is getting a goo ground. this can be done with a jumper wire and touch the body of the socket and to ground. also check to see that all of the bulbs are 1157 type bulbs. 1156 bulbs are for back up lights. the bulbs have to be two filament and two contacts on the bottom of the socket . you are losing ground some where. but all sockets have to be checked. if any of the sockets have been replaced make sure they are double contact sockets. if you have any other questions, just write back on the member program or at my home. rjtrow41@yahoo.com . working at a dealer for over 30 years you see all kinds of problems on older cars. good luck Richard
Old 04-09-2005, 11:08 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

socket

No turn signal?
With tail lights on and you apply brake, tail light goes out?

It is the ground from the socket to the chasis. The problem is usually in the socket itself. I take the socket and cut the ground tab off. Solder the ground wire on to the side of the socket.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Lights

Doc here,

Corrosion build up in those lamp sockets (on the metal tabs inside the socket) will cause all kind of headaches..as well as on the bulb itself..Burnish all the contacts until clean.

BUT if you are getting Both signals along with brake lights in the mix..(bright flasher, dim flasher) You may have issues with the turn signal ring and / or harness inside the steering column. Both the brake lamps and turn signals (usually) run through this ring and you may have a short (s) or the plastic ring may be partially broken.

If the sockets and ground don't solve the problem , then try the above next. Other things that affect the system are harness's that are cut and shorted in the trunk and backseat area getting shorted on things like the jack or seat frame. You may have to pull the backseat and hand over Hand the rear harness to ensure it's all good.

If it has, or has had, a trailer lighting plug, check there, those are big offenders.

Let us know what you find!

Doc

Photo:
Typical GM lighting harness 80 and down...you may hav to print it out to read it better.

(If this dosen't jive with your exact harness, colors etc..let me know I have the Exact diagram for your car somewhere in my files!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Early GM lighting.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	4613  
Old 04-10-2005, 05:39 PM

lights progress

well i was able to find the problem with the front blinkers. turns out blue power feed was ripped. re-connected and the fronts work fine, almost.lol
more to come...
Old 04-10-2005, 06:01 PM

lights, holy s@@t

well, here's an update on what's occuring now that the fronts are working again. left signal front works ok, rear all bulbs flash both sides(signal, markers, and license. right signal front works ok, rear all lights on with no flashing. on the dash the left signal light will flash as normal but right light will not light up.(could be the bulb) turn headlights on with left signal and absolutely nothing flashes all bulbs, are on steady. no sound from flasher either. right signal front works normal but rear all lights stay steady. took the key out and all rear lights stay on until battery disconnected.
with test light i disconnected wire harness in trunk that feeds from fuse box. when turn signals were on the appropriate signal flashed test light while oppostie signal wire was steady power, was the same for both sides is this normal? also when headlights were turned on constant power was found as per normal. the tan wire for the fuel gage also produced very little current to test light at all times. unsure about turn signal ring as i am not sure how to get at it yet. need to look through manual more.
thanks to all
keith
Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

light gremlins

Doc here,

The fact that you have all rear bulbs flashing when any signal is activated, is indicative of a signal wire (or both) on the tail light power harness...the clue is the license plate light which should never flash.

The second clue is when headlights are applied (constant non flashing power), the left signal goes constant...which would tell me your cross wire is in the left signal circuit.

If you are getting constant power to the rear lights key off no other source power applied, you have a constant (Hot at all times) power source going to the flasher circuit, (probably the left side. Another offender can be the brake light switch stuck on at all times...locate it on the master cylinder or brake pedal and disconnect it, or pull the fuse, to eliminate it as a source of power while testing.

Has this harness been cut up or modified in the past? Cuz the problems your having sound like mis~wiring rather than deterioration over time. If this is the case, it's best to start fresh on the circuit. Start with power and verify each wire one at a time until all are identified as correct, and fix any that aren't.

To access the horn ring and Column harness, you need to pull the steering wheel. Remove the Signal ring , unplug the ignition switch, and snake the harness up the column and out the top ( The bottom connector SHOULD be semi~circular to accommodate it through the column.)

Attach a "Pull" wire to the bottom before you remove it, and leave it in place so you can more easily attach the repaired or new harness to it with tape and easily pull it back through the Column.While your at it , it would be a good time to replace the defective ignition switch, you may even find a "Ball" of melted wires that might be the source of your problem.

The Fuel gauge wire is a low current signal looking for ground. (or resistance to ground) so it sounds like your OK on that wire.

Doc
Old 04-11-2005, 08:12 AM

thanks doc

thanks alot doc dor the insight. some wires have been cut from the back(engine compartment) of the fuse block. the headlight, flashers, etc all harnesses and wires seem to be unmolested. the wires all tested fine for power until the trunk harness was plugged in. but the wires in the trunk do not look wrong. i have each of the sockets in the trunk unplugged and stretched out. the only thing that looks weird to me is the way in which all the ground wires meet and connect on each side before one wire goes to the chassis. also the brown wire for the tail lights also has a connection were the wires meet(2 on each side). but there are no exposed wires and the plugs look good. is it possible the plug for the harness is bad??? don't know if this possible, but there somehow be current crossing over within the plug? if that makes any sense.
thanks again for the info, i have a lot to work from now.
keith
Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

signal wiring

the brown wire to the tag light is the same feed wire to the taillights. make sure the tag wire is not tied into any other color wire. the rear signal wires are green and yellow. also make sure the four way flasher switch is off, when testing. any wiring that has been cut needs to be repaired. the rear harness seems to be a clue, you may have to open the rear harness to expose the wiring and see if any wires have been spliced where it should not be spliced. some one sent you a message to check for a possible trailer harness hook up, don't over look this . you might find information in the public library. i know here we have service manuals in the library. gook luck again
Old 04-11-2005, 02:25 PM

all brown wires are tied together and do not touch any other colors. i have checked all wires and connections thoroughly for splices, rips, exposed wire, crosses, etc. the harness connector has been taken apart to expose each wire and there does not seem to be a trailer hookup. i do have a haynes manual with diring diagram which has helped me track the wires. still looking, yet to have a chance to check plastic ring in steering column, i will let ya all know what the problem was WHEN i beat it. thanks again for your help.
keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedan delivery
the brown wire to the tag light is the same feed wire to the taillights. make sure the tag wire is not tied into any other color wire. the rear signal wires are green and yellow. also make sure the four way flasher switch is off, when testing. any wiring that has been cut needs to be repaired. the rear harness seems to be a clue, you may have to open the rear harness to expose the wiring and see if any wires have been spliced where it should not be spliced. some one sent you a message to check for a possible trailer harness hook up, don't over look this . you might find information in the public library. i know here we have service manuals in the library. gook luck again
Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

turn signals

just trying to give you some other things to look for. i had one that had some pinched wires where the turn signal switch plugs into the main harness under the steering column. you probably have checked this by now. right now i'm out of suggestions. make sure the harness that goes up the steering column is free and not binding.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.