Texturing a hard headliner instead of vinyl - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Texturing a hard headliner instead of vinyl

Question for the interior gurus. Not necessarily thinking of doing this but it did cross my mind. So.... I made this fiberglass headliner for my 3 window and it has some beautiful curves to it that would be a real pain to upholster.

I was looking through the Project 33 database (33 Ford shown at SEMA about 3 years ago) and noticed that he did several parts of his interior and the inner cover for the trunk lid (all fiberglass parts) by first spraying Duplicolor bed liner on the surface and then coating the surface with a vinyl color spray. It gave the surface a very vinyl/leather look and would be much easier for someone who has never done upholstery to obtain a vinyl look to a hard headliner.

So my question is..... what do you pros think about this? Viable way to go or just an elcheapo hack job?

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That'a good looking headliner for a home job . The bed liner stuff like Scooter used will work, but if you flub it it's going to be a mess to straighten out. I think I would try the upholstery first. There are brands that are quite flexible and stretchy.

Vince
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I think that's a great solution if it's done as well as the pictures you posted. If you like the look, that would be a great way to go, and you would be done in no time doing it that way. You could always just do the harder curved parts that way and make a padded panel for the center of the roof, but doing the whole thing that way is a viable option. The only problem I see is what to do with the outside edges, but there are trimmings available for that.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
I think that's a great solution if it's done as well as the pictures you posted. If you like the look, that would be a great way to go, and you would be done in no time doing it that way. You could always just do the harder curved parts that way and make a padded panel for the center of the roof, but doing the whole thing that way is a viable option. The only problem I see is what to do with the outside edges, but there are trimmings available for that.
I do think is a viable alternative BUT... in order for something like that to look perfect the inside of the headliner has to be flawless and I'm not sure mine is good enough. Vinyl will hide a few minor imperfections but I'm not sure the bedliner method would hide little stuff like that. I'm working right now using Rage Gold to work out any imperfections on the inside but I still don't think it will be good enough for just a coat of bedliner to look good. I think I'll take 302/Z28's advice and try the vinyl first and use the bedliner as a fall back position. I really do want to do this myself but I'll have to leave sewing the vinyl to my local interior guy. Do you have any suggestions that might help as far as piecing the vinyl?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Bedliner goes on really thick and can be built up in areas that need it so I would not worry about minor imperfections..

Sam
Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If you go the bedliner route, don't waste your time with the crap from the local auto parts store. been there done that, its junk.

I use SPI bedliner now and have had excellent results every time. Never made a headliner with it though.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I do think is a viable alternative BUT... in order for something like that to look perfect the inside of the headliner has to be flawless and I'm not sure mine is good enough. Vinyl will hide a few minor imperfections but I'm not sure the bedliner method would hide little stuff like that. I'm working right now using Rage Gold to work out any imperfections on the inside but I still don't think it will be good enough for just a coat of bedliner to look good. I think I'll take 302/Z28's advice and try the vinyl first and use the bedliner as a fall back position. I really do want to do this myself but I'll have to leave sewing the vinyl to my local interior guy. Do you have any suggestions that might help as far as piecing the vinyl?
This is a very complex job of fitting that will require a lot of seams. A lot of seams will look like crap.
If you're afraid of the glass not being perfect, glue some 1/4" Volara closed cell foam on first and then spray on the bedliner. This would also be a great way to just do the perimeter of the roof and the rear window area and leave an opening in the middle of the roof for a design of some kind. That way the only sewing will be on any design you want to put in the center roof section, and it will be infinitely easier.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm mulling over a couple ideas and once I decide on a direction (and method) I'll shoot some finished pics and we'll see how it comes out. Based on Dan's thinking I do believe using vinyl might be a little out of my skill set... either way, I'm going to do this without my upholstery guy's help. I try to be as much of a 100% builder as possible and it still bothers me that I'm having him do my seat. But... I do know that without the proper tools, if I tried to do it the results would be unacceptable. So.. on this car I guess I'll have to settle for being a 99%'er..... but at least I'll have a nice period correct seat.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Centerline, please post some pictures of the finished product, I'm dying to see how this works for you.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

It'll take a week or two to get things final fitted but I'll post pics on how I did what I did just as soon as I'm done doing it..... if that makes any sense.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

The most important things you learn are those things you learn AFTER you know it all. -- Chip Foose

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.