Hot Rod Forum banner

TH-200 wont go into reverse

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ChevyIIMan 
#1 ·
I have a 85 Buick Regal with a TH-200 Transmission. When I bought the car 20,000 miles ago when you would put it into reverse it would have a 1-2sec delay and then engage reverse very solidly. A week ago that began to take longer5-10-15 seconds but would always engage reverse solidly just like you shifted it just had a dealy. a few day ago it took close to a min and since then it wont go into reverse, doesnt even load the motor just idles like its in park. All 3 of my forward gears work great, very firm 1-2 and 2-3 shifts and ZERO slipping.

Any idea what could be happening? I always though 1st and rev shared a gear so it doesnt seem likes it the clutches?

#4 ·
ChevyIIMan said:
I always though 1st and rev shared a gear so it doesnt seem likes it the clutches?

Are you a transmission repair person? I would guess not since that information is incorrect.

You possibly heard the term; " low - reverse clutches" ? the term applies to the clutch pack in the back of the trans.. they apply in reverse and MANUAL low gear when the shifter is in "1"...

the reverse frictions seem to be a failure point of the t-200 trans.

in reverse the high gear (direct) clutch is applied , also the low/reverse clutch.

So ... does the three (3) forward gears work properly? " 2 " distinct shifts from the trans?

post back when you can :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.