TH-350 - 700R4 tranny swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 Turbo 700R4 Swap

I have a lot of practice on this subject. The Swap is rather straight forward. First, let us put the Myths to rest. The 700R4 is not the ill fated tranny some will talk about. In fact it is the trans of choice. Some will go with the 200R4 But that is matter of taste. There are some diffs but effectively.... Build them right and any transmission will preform.

Mind you.. even a well known Trans Builder will not warranty a race car trans......... Beat it and any trans will fail in due time. You should see daily drivers come into his shop with shattered sunshells and.... well. Again.. ANY trans will fail if you abuse it.

My friend who happens to own ProPower Transmissions turned me on to the 700 swap. After it is said and done.... the 700 is a strong platform PROVIDED you update it. The most prefered is 87-92 case with all updates. You then have a strong Trans.

Now for swaping. Let us just use my 71 Chevy PU. 350cu with 350 TH. 3.73 Rear positraction. The swap goes like this. You will need a 700 from a Caprice or tail housing. Reason is the mounts are the same for the swap. Otherwise you have to modify. I wont go into the how to build your tranny thing.... stock or built... doesn't matter.... the application is the same.

Driveshaft.... Listen guys... no matter what car you are putting the 700 into.... your shaft must be cut 3 inches if you swap a TH350. The 700 is longer by 2 7/8 over the 350. There is ample room for play. Also..The yoke will also slide in as if made for the 700. The output shaft matches the splines on any 350. Make sure you have new joints and have it balanced.... Nothing worse then a shaft vibrating away at your rear seal and wallowing your output shaft....Same bolt pattern... so the 700 mates right up....You will have to move your trans crossmember back... depending on your car... you may or may not have to drill holes.... the older the vehicle the easier it gets. Mind that there is always the unforseen issue.... and why. cause each car is different... but the swap as I said is straight forward.....You will need a detent cable... cause you are going from a kickdown to a throttle/speed cable... meaning that the trans shifts according to throttle depression. This has to be adjusted and make sure you do not set the cable to shift into overdrive too soon..... Overdrive drag will kill it in short time... set your preference but 45 mph is a good all around speed for OD to kick in. I suggest manual Lockup... you can have it as full time but with Manual LU, if you tow... you can turn it off. Just have an on off toggle on your dash or where ever...Works great.

By the way... The trans cooler lines... Match just about perfect as well... and you SHOULD get an extra tranny cooler.. Only because all trannies like it cool.

Pretty much that covers it..... it really is a simple swap. Make sure you have everything .. look for obstacles and go for it. It is just like pulling a 350 tranny and putting it back in with a couple of mods.. Thats it... Sound simple??? It is... Yes I always invent a word or 2... But hey. Thats part of it.

The icing was that the truck with the OD went from 13 mpg to 19
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 530.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	37562  

Advertisement

Last edited by Hookers Garage; 04-11-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Welcome to Hotrodders.com

please read the dates on threads when searching... you replied to a 5 yr old thread .

thanks for the posts
Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

Last edited by fast68; 04-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

fast68, I do not know what web sites you gather your information from;

there were / are 5 lengths from GM for the t-350 lines of transmissions as I show in the photo,

there were 2 different 4x4 shafts. The longer 4x4 shaft is obviously a cut off 6 inch 2 wheel shaft. This 4x4 shaft was used briefly in a t-350 with 208 t/case OEM application

Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

howdy there mr crosley

actually, i was only talking about 2wd ones there are 3 of those, i have owned many of each, 6, 9, and 12" shafts

9" tail is direct fit in place of a 700r4.

very simple

i dont gather from websites, i gather from personal knowledge and experience because i have owned and/or seen/wrenched on about anything you can possibly think of over the years.

im not wanting to get into an arguing match here, i know what gm did and didnt do with these. im just here to help out others as much a si possibly can with my knowledge and exerience and i know you are as well, and so thats what counts here i believe.

thanks for caring and helping put info out there for the others to learn on

Last edited by fast68; 05-20-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
howdy there mr crosley

actually, i was only talking about 2wd ones there are 3 of those, i have owned many of each, 6, 9, and 12" shafts

9" tail is direct fit in place of a 700r4.

very simple

i dont gather from websites, i gather from personal knowledge and experience because i have owned and/or seen/wrenched on about anything you can possibly think of over the years.

im not wanting to get into an arguing match here, i know what gm did and didnt do with these. im just here to help out others as much a si possibly can with my knowledge and exerience and i know you are as well, and so thats what counts here i believe.

thanks for caring and helping put info out there for the others to learn on
fast68,

I am not arguing anything here

interesting how you edited out your earlier post of incorrect information a few days ago and now post this message.

I still beleive you gather information from the net with little personal experience... sure you have owned a few trucks or other GM vehicles. Yet some basic information seems to get past you with the vast experience you have ...

I built my first automatic in 1974 , a t-400. I owned my first general transmission repair shop in 1981. It was quite the experience and I had a business partner

You have posted incorrect information before that may have been gathered from the internet. I watch this stuff, since I have actually lived it. My youngest child will be 36 yrs old this year , so I have a few years under my belt.

You have owned one of each of the t-350 trans in discussion here? Big deal.. I can go pull the parts off the shelf or pull the chevy bell housing 904 Mopar trans off the shelf or the 5 bolt Chevy bolt pattern Monza t-350 case off the shelf too.

Catch up when you can

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

ok happy hannukah then yayyyyyyy!!!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.