th-350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

th-350

this is my fifth question and still know awswers,at least that help.after installing a B&M transpak shift kit on street/strip,and assuming that there was already a B&M shift improver kit set on s/s and the trans shifts easier now than when it had a shift kit at all,,,what are the possibilities.its a freshly overhauled tranny and it did ok with the shift improver.i just wanted all i could get without going with an aftermarket valve body.the last two times i had it apart i put it back in the same knowing i did it right.maybe i didn't do as good a job as i thought installing the springs in the valve body.i did practice on another one first and spoke to the guy at the shop that overhauled it so it can't be too far off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNova/406
this is my fifth question and still know awswers,at least that help.

after installing a B&M transpak shift kit on street/strip,and assuming that there was already a B&M shift improver kit set on s/s and the trans shifts easier now than when it had a shift kit at all,,

,what are the possibilities.its a freshly overhauled tranny and it did ok with the shift improver.

i just wanted all i could get without going with an aftermarket valve body.

the last two times i had it apart i put it back in the same knowing i did it right.

maybe i didn't do as good a job as i thought installing the springs in the valve body.

i did practice on another one first and spoke to the guy at the shop that overhauled it so it can't be too far off.

You stated
Quote:
and it has a coan 11" prostreet 2800-3200 converter
A stall speed converter will soften up the shift feel. Are you aware of this?

What is your rear gear ratio? Lower gears ( 4.10) will provide a firmer shift than a higher gear ratio (3.08)

You cannot have 2 shift improver type kits in the trans at once. Which do you have in it? B&M kits over the years are known for very firm shifts when setup correctly. Usually people complained about too firm of shifts

You complained about a poor 2-3 shift if i recall correctly. I asked if your kits had a stacked plate setup at the front of the valve body. I do not recall your answer, if you responded.

I have built these trannys for decades ( for a living) and can make them open the glove box door with NO shift kit added. The t-350 is very easy to get FIRM shifts from if built & modified correctly.

I could guess till the cows come home on what you did incorrectly if anything.

Is the boost valve installed correctly? Have you run a pressure check to verify proper pressure ?

Is the check ball near the modulator valve installed? Don't list check ball numbers, Did you put the check ball (1) in the case that is near the modulator valve? You indicated the kit instructions provided the location.

Please space out your sentences in your posts. Your jammed together paragraphs are very difficult to read, understand and then respond to.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:37 PM

it was a fresh tranny with a shift improver kit.i installed a transpak with the stacked plates,transfer plate in the middle and topped off with stock plate per instrs.i checked the holes and everything lines up.i thought i did a good job on the springs, but for the fifth time i'm taking it back apart to check valves again.boost valve is good.checked it yesterday.today i am checking the 2-3 shift control.when i drove it the other day the manual low worked so i assume i do not need to look at that.per instrs. i took out the 2-3 accumulator piston spring and reinstalled piston.i do not have the tools to check press. but i don't need them to tell you that that seems to be the problem.not enough press.the converter is an 11" and gears 3.73.in the right conditions it chirped 2nd before so that shouldn't be a problem.i simply wanted a better set-up and am working toward a better end.i took into consideration that it had a kit before i started and have been looking at that along the way making sure i didn't need to put something back in the trans that had been taken out for that kit.the separator plate is the only thing other than check balls that had been altered.it had two holes enlarged but i didn't use that plate.i used another just like it and for my set-up it was not supposed to be altered.as i said before,it started with a shift improver kit set-up for s/s and the transpak i have now is s/s also.the shift improver used #1 and #2 check balls.the transpak use's only #1.i am sorry if i came off as a smart ***.i'm just an extremely frustrated ***.so anyway like i said i don't have a press. gage but i have never in my life had a trans that shifts as easy as this one does now.also it does have a governor kit but i haven't had any trouble with that.any help???????

Last edited by GoneNova/406; 10-22-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNova/406
it was a fresh tranny with a shift improver kit.i installed a transpak with the stacked plates,transfer plate in the middle and topped off with stock plate per instrs.

i checked the holes and everything lines up.i thought i did a good job on the springs, but for the fifth time i'm taking it back apart to check valves again.

boost valve is good.checked it yesterday.today i am checking the 2-3 shift control. when i drove it the other day the manual low worked so i assume i do not need to look at that.per instrs. i took out the 2-3 accumulator piston spring and reinstalled piston.

i do not have the tools to check press. but i don't need them to tell you that that seems to be the problem.not enough press.

the converter is an 11" and gears 3.73.in the right conditions it chirped 2nd before so that shouldn't be a problem.i simply wanted a better set-up and am working toward a better end.

i took into consideration that it had a kit before i started and have been looking at that along the way making sure i didn't need to put something back in the trans that had been taken out for that kit.

the separator plate is the only thing other than check balls that had been altered.it had two holes enlarged but i didn't use that plate.i used another just like it and for my set-up it was not supposed to be altered.as i said before,it started with a shift improver kit set-up for s/s and the transpak i have now is s/s also.

the shift improver used #1 and #2 check balls.the transpak use's only #1.i am sorry if i came off as a smart ***.i'm just an extremely frustrated ***.

so anyway like i said i don't have a press. gage but i have never in my life had a trans that shifts as easy as this one does now. also it does have a governor kit but i haven't had any trouble with that.any help???????
OK

1: the boost valve & pressure reg assembly is good

2: you have multi-plate setup at the front of the v-body. This dual feeds 3rd gear. good

3: rear gears at 3.73 is a good street gear for performance.

4: an 11 inch converter would need to be setup loose to provide 2800 -3000 rpm stall

5: the check balls(c-b).... the 2 c-b would be the 1-2 shift & the c-b near the modulator valve. If the c-b located near the modulator valve is NOT there, main line pressure will be very LOW ( sloppy operation as you post). Only the c-b near the modulator valve needs to be there in this application

6: with no pressure gauge to check for low pressure we are handicapped here.

7: Is the vacuum to the modulator hooked up to direct manifold vacuum source? Ported vacuum use is wrong.

8: I understand your frustration. On the internet often people perceive an attitude when none exists.

9: As a moderator on this bbs and a tranny guy with many years experience , I am only trying to help point you in the correct direction. I am sure the problem is in front of you , but you do not know what to look for.

I tell the people I train on tranny work that "It is always the simple stuff that gets you "

I wish there was more I could provide from the information you have posted
Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 PM

where i mentioned two check balls is in the the shift improver set-up that i started out with.i only installed one for this set-up.i am fairly convinced after taking it out and looking at it again that i did everything in the spring and valve section of install correct.the one thing i have not changed since i began is the support plate order.the instrs. show and describe the silver plate first,then the transfer plate(gold) and finally the stock support plate.i have done it that way every time.is it wrong?before i forget the vaccum is connected to the manifold not ported.
i have been stuck over the week end come tomorrow i'll have to admit defeat and seek help.i went back to jegs seeking help but the salesman who knew trannies didn't know 350's.he did tell me about a shop that does performance builds and work which has been hard to find here so its not all a waste.oh and as far as the converter is concerned(coan pro street 28-3200),i was extremely happy with it once i got it in and running.sometimes its trial and error with converters but this one is right on.couldn't work any better.cam is comp. cams magnum 280 with 1.6 rockers.406 motor 9.4 c.r.,(87 octane).i believe you are right in that it has to be something simple.thats usually the way.thanks anyway.i can't tell you how frustrating this is.

Last edited by GoneNova/406; 10-24-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:26 PM

crosley
after finally getting hold of someone at B&M today and spending quite a bit of time speaking with him it just made me know all the more that i had done everything right from the get go.but i decided to check the vaccum lines and make sure they were not turned around for some reson.they were not but in doing so i noticed that the pcv valve had popped up out of its hole and was doing nothing but sucking air.i had thought since i started this project that every time the engine ran it sounded slightly off.the muffler tone wasn't quite right but i had just taken a single plane manifold off and replaced it with an rpm and chalked it up to that but still,,,something!!!it was the pcv.so hopefully tomorrow everything will go like clock work so again if i got up in your face alittle apologize.iwas just to the breaking point.again thanks for trying.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.