TH 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2002, 07:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post TH 350

i posted a topic on this trans about it slipping in 2nd.........well i was thinkin and wanted to add this detail........if i take off nomally (pretty slow) it takes off good....if i stomp it.....it acts like its burning the tires (slipping i assme) but it isnt...then finally it will shift into another gear....then sometimes...it seems like its ok..... whats the problem......clutchs burnt....bands need adjusting....or just plain $%*# up tranny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2002, 08:59 AM

Wink

first things first i would check the fluid level. if it is low it will take the converter a while to suck up enough of it to make it move. i would then check the filter. th350 has a pretty heavy filter on it so if it's plugged up it would amount to stator/sprag slippage in the converter due to lack of fluid. it would also in some cases cause hard shifting. if you think about it an automatic is a big hydraulic pump. it needs a given amount of juice at a given rate to make it work. if you try this and none of it helps, you've most likely got a stretched(ballooned) torque converter. the bands in this tranny only provide resistance for the rate of shift mostly(how hard or soft, and when to some extent, but very little). hope i helped. good luck.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:01 AM

Cool

sounds possibly could be torque converter, I would suppose if your bands and clutches are smoked it would be consistantly down hill (never getting any better)just a opinion (wrenchturner)
Old 05-07-2002, 06:39 PM

ya think the clutches are burnt maybe ? cause this guy is gonna trade out trannys with me but i gotta keep my convertor he doesnt have one...so if i put in the new one and it does the same thing....its probly the convertor right?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:15 AM

Talking

burnt clutches would cause the car to stall at stops, because they would'nt let go mostly. it could lead to hard shifts and take a while to grab and then suddenly hit like you were just rearended. i would say if you change using the same converter you don't see a change, then it's the converter. if you do, the whole inside of that tranny is meant to be made into a japanese car.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

...so been smashing any mustangs lately with that tranny??? hahaha, just kidding. I would think that your best bet would be to just buy a cheap rebuild kit if you dont get the other tranny. Either way if it still slips, its going to be the converter.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:19 AM

appreciate all the help guys!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:17 PM

Doesnt the 350 have a couple of external band adjustments?
Old 05-09-2002, 08:41 PM

The 350 TH has only one Band. It is Hydraulically applied. No external Adjustment can, be made.

Did You ever wonder what that Howling type Noise is when You have It in Low. It"s the Band applied, the Band simply keeps the Trans. from freewheeling in Low Range.

Chances are the Torque Converter is full of Debris from the Trans going South. Rebuilt Converters are Cheap. If You rebuild The 350, get a Rebuilt Converter also. It will save You a Major Headache later.

[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: taz ]</p>
Old 06-29-2002, 09:31 PM

Question

Anyone know a web site that shows how to rebuild a th 350 ?
Mine went pop! going down the road,now i have a wineing comming from it.in all gears and park.
I was told it was the pump, but it looks fine to me..

Panicx
Old 06-29-2002, 11:05 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Does the fluid smell burnt?Or look orange?Try changin fluid and filter.Clean the pan and put a magnet in it.TH350s are pretty tough filter & fluid brought a couple back for me.
On one tranny that was real bad I started the car for 5sec. w/ the pan off to let the pump drain the converter.(Although this probably ain't ideal for the seal and pump.)
Also does the car run hot automatic trannys hate heat.A trans cooler might prolong an old trannys life.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.