Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   TH 350 build (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th-350-build-200246.html)

355_S10 06-12-2011 08:57 PM

TH 350 build

I was wondering, how difficult is it to rebuild a th350 for the common mechanically inclined with a book from the library. Would it be easier for me to pay $400+ core for a rebuilt with converter, new sprags, and shift kit. Or buy a $70 core off craigslist and rebuild it myself? Its not like rebuilding an engine! My engine is pushing 360hp @5000 rpms and 415lbs @ 4200, according to DT dyno and the machine shop so I know I need to upgrade stuff. What do you think?

anglia427 06-12-2011 10:44 PM

shure you can do it your self,just do a little research on what you need to do for your application.a 350 rebiuld with a sprag and shift kit could be done yourself for around 250 or so not counting the price of the core or what converter you use, theres plenty of talented people on here to help you out

Chief_Wiggum 06-13-2011 11:47 AM

I'm actually part way through mine now. Get the Ron Sessions book, you can probably skip getting a video as his book is really good. The only specialty tools you'll need are the low/reverse clutch return spring compressor and some way to drive the bushings. Everything else can be done with basic hand tools. It's really not that difficult, but you do need a lot of work space to keep the parts organized and in order. I purchased a rebuild kit from Oregon Performance Transmission, it seems like a good deal. I think the only thing it's missing is a thrust washer kit.

355_S10 06-13-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_Wiggum
I'm actually part way through mine now. Get the Ron Sessions book, you can probably skip getting a video as his book is really good. The only specialty tools you'll need are the low/reverse clutch return spring compressor and some way to drive the bushings. Everything else can be done with basic hand tools. It's really not that difficult, but you do need a lot of work space to keep the parts organized and in order. I purchased a rebuild kit from Oregon Performance Transmission, it seems like a good deal. I think the only thing it's missing is a thrust washer kit.

Ok, Im going to check out the prices :thumbup:

cobalt327 06-13-2011 10:17 PM

More than half the battle is finding a good, unmolested core these days. Used to be there were unrebuilt, original TH350 trannys for the asking. Now it seems every last one of them has been "rebuilt" by some mouth breathing knuckle dragger before you ever get to lay hands on it.

I wouldn't buy a core I couldn't personally inspect. I'd suggest craigslist or the local salvage yards, rather than eBay.