Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-350 circle track use

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bonuts 
#1 ·
hey guys got a few questions for the tranny pro's
a friend of mine is building a bomber for the local circle track and has asked me to rebuild a 350 turbo for the car. ive done a few trannys for my own street strip cars, but nothing for circle track, he only has intentions of running the trans in first gear at all times, what kinda mods should i look into for his trans to insure the durabilitly of being in first only, rules say he can run a glide.

thanks
Greg

#2 ·
First gear...all the time ? what size is the track ? 1/4 mile,1/2 mile ?
when I ran street stock we went with a TH400 that was used in a Grumman
the Th400 used in heavy trucks and motor homes have a lower gear for 1st
and 2d. With a few mods it served us well, but we could run 2d gear on a ½ mile track with the right rear ratio. Now the old glide can be tricked out, a friend of mine had one in his sportsman dirt racer. No convertor , with a valve to in gauge it in drive. If your track rules allow this I would find someone to trick it out. No convertor = less weight, less overheated trans fluid , but was a bit tricky to get use to at first. http://www.powerglide.com/parts/parts/GM-DD-1K.htm

#3 ·
actually the rules state no powerglides, the track is a 1/4 mild banked paved oval, other people have ran the 350's in first with a 2.73 gear with success in the past,but no im going to be building a trans for a friend. and was wondering what i can do to make the trans survie fulltime 1st gear use.

thanks,
Greg

#4 ·
Being a bomber I doubt you can run with-out a torque converter, its probably in the rules. I do remember guys running a smaller converters (for less rotating weight) with their auto trans cars (I've always run a standard).

But there may be something in the rules for that too.

As far as making the trans tougher, you may not need to do anything at all. A bomber car is a stock engine car everywhere I've been. So I would think a good rebuild would be enough. Nobody around here does anything real trick tranny's, or not that I'm admitting to anyways. :thumbup: Like maybe only having one forward working gear.... But I'm not admitting to that! :nono:

bonuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.