th-350 clanking noise then grinding the nothing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2002, 10:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post th-350 clanking noise then grinding the nothing

I have a th-350 behind a moderate 396 in an s-10 here is the senario the truck has been on the road for two months broke in fine and had no indication of a tranny problem last saturday driving home the tranny worked excellent until i got a heavy foot, i accelerated hard from 10mph then the revs shot through the roof and a loud tinking, clanging noise came from the trans area i pulled over and placed it in park noise went away put back in drive and it returned sounded simmilar to a quarter in a dryer and had a pulsing feel. decided to limp it home it clanked on initial SLOW acceleration and then no noise at all drove fine shifted to second then 1/2 mile down the road the noise came back and then turned into a grinding noise followed almost imediately by high revs and no acceleration upon initial inspection there apeared to be fluid leaking from the pan from the gasket at the front right corner the filter is new the fluid was bright red did not smell burnt and was at the correct level no evidence of metal or clutch material on dip stick i have a 2800 stall a shift kit and a tranny cooler with its own fan i have had the tranny for 2 years with no problems the rear end gear is 273 and the converter is kinda old. could the highway rear end gear and the high stall speed kill my tranny or could the converter going out cause this. my first assumption was that a converter vane had let loose and was getting nocked around i know this was a long desciption thanks for giving me your time

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 03:57 AM

Last photo:

it could be the conveter???? but th350 have a problem with the one-way sprague clutches, with high torgue , hp engines. it also could be planetary gear set bad? the fluid leaking , from the trans could be from the pan or a (cracked case) I would pull the pan for further inspection.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:11 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Not real sure, but it kinda sounds like the sprag exploded, which can be common on high torque engines and TH350 trannys. The sprag is the weak link in these trannys, as it is in the TH400. as the other post said, pull the pain, if you find a lot of metal pieces and small rollers and lock pieces, you found your problem, if the sprag did explode, a rebuild will be called for, IF it will come apart, and If the case is still good. I`ve seen some explode and almost ruin everything. Hope this isn`t the case with yours. Good Luck.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:49 PM

Sprag... Ker-Foom!!! Fairly dramatic... tells u ur makin good power!
Old 12-08-2002, 03:50 PM

thanks for all the info one more question i was told that the sprag only works for forward gears and not reverse so in theory if i have reverse but no forward gears then the sprag broke but if there is nothing at all its the converter i have absolutely no gears park works yippeee tranny dosent even try to engage and there is no noise from the tranny anymore i am getting around to pulling the pan right now will post findings i guess my question is does the sprag only work in forward gears and if so does my theory sound correct the tranny has all the b+m rebuild kit installed has been for two years thanks again
Old 12-08-2002, 06:00 PM

oh ya something went boom no big parts were found in the pan just alot of fine metal shavings on removal of the pan i discovered that almost half of the bell housing is missing along with many lengthy cracks. most likely sprag? and how do i stop this from happening again? also could a seized up stall cause this kind of damage?
Old 12-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Sorry to hear about your carnage, yes indeed the sprag did explode to cause that kind of damage. you can get a heat treated sprag from many tranny companies. this would be the first step, I`d also look into other heavy duty parts to beef it up more for your application, it doesn`t sound like your 396 is "moderate" to me! when it did explode and cause the damage it did, this is a fairy dangerous situation, the force from the explosion can be powerful enough to penetrate the floor and into the cab with you, which is why racers use tranny blankets and scatter shields. stomping it from 10 mph really didn`t give the truck a chance to spin since it was already in motion, the sudden torque load over came the sprag and resulted in the carnage.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:19 PM

double vision thanks for getting back hey i have a b+m manual/automatic valve body could it be reused even with all the metal debri in the trannny i have ordered tci's sprag outer race supose to increase torque rating will have to get a whole new tranny but would like to swap over the valve body great info i owe ya one
Old 12-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

roadrash9r there are 2 sprague clutches in a th350, the intermediate overrun roller clutch and the low and reverse roller clutch. your friend is right they only work in forward gears, you would really have to know the fundamentals of a automatic trans , of how things work inside a trans.with probably a 1000 little pieces,how they function and work.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.