Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   TH 350 cooler line oil flow (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th-350-cooler-line-oil-flow-224405.html)

jeepers creepers 09-26-2012 02:44 PM

TH 350 cooler line oil flow

TH 350 gurus, i need your help, while i was working on the fluid cooler lines, i didn't remember what was the cooler feed oil/out for the cooler so i started up the engine to see from where the fluid is supposed to come out , ATF was coming out from both lines!, way more from the lower port (wich is supposed to be the right one) but also a little bit from the "return line".
Transmission was in N, don't now if this weird flow happens also with the shifter in that position , i have to try in P but now i'm concerned about something wrong in the oil pump assembly, may be that i forgot a checkball in somewhere during the rebuild?
Trans is freshly rebuilt and got a TransGo shift kit on it.
Any help will be apprecciated.

SSedan64 09-27-2012 06:14 AM

The Bottom line is the Feed/Out which has pressure.
The Top line is Return/In, it doesn't have suction so some fluid may flow out there.

Radiator with side tanks:
Bottom = Feed/In from bottom Trans line.
Top = Return/Out to top Trans line.

jeepers creepers 09-27-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSedan64 (Post 1594267)
The Bottom line is the Feed/Out which has pressure.
The Top line is Return/In, it doesn't have suction so some fluid may flow out there.

Radiator with side tanks:
Bottom = Feed/In from bottom Trans line.
Top = Return/Out to top Trans line.

Thank you, that's what i've thought so i put my finger on the return/in line to see if it has any pressure but i can easily stop the flow, in the other line has a little bit more pressure , i hope that's enaugh to create a flow in the circuit cooler otherwise it's a problem.

cobalt327 09-27-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepers creepers (Post 1594283)
Thank you, that's what i've thought so i put my finger on the return/in line to see if it has any pressure but i can easily stop the flow, in the other line has a little bit more pressure , i hope that's enaugh to create a flow in the circuit cooler otherwise it's a problem.

The bottom cooler line from the tranny going to the cooler should have around 20 psi cold at idle speed. Up to 45-55 psi revving it up.

You can check the pressure before and after the cooler(s) to see if there's excessive pressure drop.

Crosley 09-27-2012 06:17 PM

Design of the trans pump , stator and input shaft... With wear on the bushings and shaft, the oil takes the path with least resistance, so oil flows out each port with nothing attached.

With a cooler and lines installed , the oil is pushed the correct path.

jeepers creepers 09-28-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosley (Post 1594466)
Design of the trans pump , stator and input shaft... With wear on the bushings and shaft, the oil takes the path with least resistance, so oil flows out each port with nothing attached.

With a cooler and lines installed , the oil is pushed the correct path.

You made me an happy man for today, thank you!
By the way , tranny has been freshly rebuilt and i changed as weel all the bushings.