TH-350 front pump seal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TH-350 front pump seal

Hello sorry in advance if i do something wrong first time posting on a forum.

Afriend of mine has a 74 chevy 2wd truck with a th-350 or 400 trans (not sure) I am thinking it is a 350 anyhow the front pump seal is leaking (we already replaced the front seal for the input shaft on the torque converter I looked in a few manuals i have at the body shop and it seams easy enough just take off the 8 bolts and slide hammer it out replace the o ring seal and slip it back in. But we have never dug into a tranny like that b4 closest thing i have done is rebuild a transfercase. I was just wondering if there was anything that might go wrong or cause problems. ie... springs falling in tranny...or the like.

Thanks Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2006, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Took me a few reads to figure out that you want to change the pump o-ring since you already changed the front seal.

It's not hard to change the o-ring, but you also need a pump gasket too. It goes between the pump housing and trans case. If the trans is in the car, you might have some problems keeping the band in place once the pump is out, atleast I did when i built my 350 trans 2 years ago. For me, it was easier to have it standing on its back end stradeling 2 5 gallon cans. Need to make sure you don't damage the sealing rings when you remove/re-install it too.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM

thank you

Thanks for the info I didnt think there would be much to it but just wanted to check w/someone that has done it b4 i tried.

thanks for the help
Mike
Old 09-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

trans

Also pay real close attention to the gasket and it's placement in the case... You can get it on backwards and have all the holes line up...... well except one. Thats the vent hole, and it will not work with the vent hole blocked off....

replace the "O" ring on the outside of the pump like Mark said. lube it up with some atf or assembly lube...

Keith
Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 AM

Two of the bolt holes in the pump housing are threaded. after you take out all the pump bolts you can screw longer bolts in these two holes ( slowly and each one a little at a time, bolts need to have an inch or more threads than the original pump bolts ) and it will push\pull the pump out of the case. when you go to put it back in if you will take three bolts the correct size diameter about six inches long,cut the heads off and screw them into the case spaced apart equally around to use as alignment pins\studs. you can slide the gasket on and it will stay in place and then the pump on .pull the pump into place with the regular bolts then remove bolts\pins\studs and install remaining bolts. the square cut o-ring pump seal is very easy to cut or fold over and this sure makes it less likely it will happen. This is a shadetree way of doing it I have used before. it works but you can also buy the tools to do it .
Old 09-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Worlds Quickest Luv Truck

Last photo:

I would not recomend using bolts to push out the pump. The pump could be just stuck enough that those bolts will push right into the threads that are their and then I have seen where it strips the threads and sometimes brakes out the inner part of the case. Use a slide hammer,if that is not available put a small chain through the bolts long enough to reach out and jurk outward with some kind of motion to pull outward like a slide hammer.

Chuck
Old 09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Psychomotors

I once replaced the front seal on my Dads' 72 chevy pu (9 hrs on dirt drive )only to find out that it was an oil pressure sending unit on pass. side of case under the trans lines.Only leaked when he was in gear (under pressure),took it out and plugged it.Might want to check that also before tearing into trans.,save alot of touble.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:52 PM

Thanks all

Thanks for all the info everyone ya'll have given me some great tips and pointers. If any of you need anything that I can help with just let me know. I am really grateful for the help.

Thanks again
Mike

Last edited by nova72000; 09-22-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

I need a sprinkler system and dual pane windows installed! LOL

I too tried to pull the pump on my 350 with 2 bolts but like was said earlier, I almost trashed the holes. I ended up using to claw hammers under each bolt with the head of each hammer on the bell housing area. I gave each one a good push and it extracted the pump without any damage to the case.

Mark
Old 09-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Like I said in my previous post, slow and easy, it worked for me but the pump popped loose fairly easily because it appeared to have been off before. if it had not come off i would have stopped and used another method. that is why this forum is so handy.lots of different advice on ways to do things.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.