Hot Rod Forum banner

TH-350 Identification question

640 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jimfulco 
#1 ·
I'm putting a 305 and Th-350 in my 50 Chevy Sedan. I have not yet gotten the tranny. Are there any major differences in them from year to year? I want to get the right on the first time.

Also, How easy are they to rebuild? I've rebuilt motors and standard trannys before but never a Auto.

#2 ·
There is not a lot of difference in the external look of the Th 350's, but there are some difference on the internal's. I'm not sure of the code numbers any more that is on the tag so some one else in here may know that.

The major difference is in the clutch plate stacking which is done with different piston and pressure plates.

If you have access to a couple of tranny's (and if you were going to rebuild anyway) try to get one from a 4x4 and one from a passenger car, the 4x4 should have the best clutch packs etc. and you can use the output shaft and tail shaft from the passenger car.

#3 ·
T-350's came with one of three different tailshaft housing lengths. Most have the 6" tailshaft housing, but most '73-up trucks use a 9" one, and many full-size passenger cars from the late '60s up used a 12" one. Here's a site with trans dimensions: http://tciauto.com/tech_info/trans_dims.htm

Watch out for bad bolt holes in the main case. The bolt holes where the rear trans mount attaches to the case are often broken completely out of the case. Might be fixable, but I bet it's a pain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.