Th-350 ran with no fluid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Th-350 ran with no fluid

I have a Th-350 its got a bm 3200 stall converter and I just recently put in a b&M transgo shift kit. Yesterday I was having trouble adjust my rocker arms and apparently accidently pulled the tranny dipstick tube out on accident and didn't realize it till it was to late. I finished adjust the rocker arms, hoped in and took it for a drive around the neighbor hood to make sure everything was fine. When I drove the Tranny shifted like it was supposed to and seemed like nothign was wrong. I got home parked it, and let it set for about an hour. I got in later to go to work and started backing out of the driveway and suddenly it seemed like it shifted itself out of gear, and then I had no gears except for park! I pushed back inthe driveway checked the fluid and realized then the dipstick tube was out, and it was ran low on fluid because of it spewing out of the tranny. Today I went out put some more fluid in it and started it up to warm it up to checkthe fluid. And I still have no gears! I checked the dipstick when it was not warmed up, and there was some on it, so Im sure its getting fluid. What could I have broken?

Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Trans

crack one of the cooler lines loose and have someone start it for a few seconds..... If you get no fluid then the pump is broken..... Hold a rag over it so it does not make a mess....

Keith
Old 04-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Gone fishin'

Thanks man, Ill try that the next time I have a chance to get out under it. But whats the odds of it breaking the pump? I drove about 10 yards when it stopped like it did, and the tranny was rebuilt a year ago with only 4000 miles on it
Thanks

Brad
Old 04-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

trans

Not sure about the odd's but it's a place to start..

I was running my 66 up the highway on the way home from a car show. Just tooling along at 3500rpm enjoying the 3' flowmasters and instantly the tack jumped and i felt the car slow.....

Towed it home, pulled the line and no fluid being pumped, yanked the trans.... broken pump gear..... So it does happen. Never happened before and hasn't happened since....

Keith
Old 05-01-2005, 07:02 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

There are several things that could stop the trans from moving. My concern is why it is out of fluid. Removing the dipstick should not cause you to loose all of the fluid, if it has the correct dipstick and tube. The dipstick has a rubber seal at the top to prevent water and such from entering while driving, not to prevent the fluid from coming out.

As far as the broken pump theory, there would have to be a reason for that. Something wrong, other than running it low on fluid. Something wrong could be anything from improper handling(like dropping) before installation, to improper alignment of something, to a defective part.

Some things to check.
Check the fluid level, after finding out where the fluid went. Check with engine warm, on level ground, in Park.
Check the convertor to flywheel bolts. They do actually fall out if they were not the proper bolts or tightened.
Check the manual linkage inside the pan to make sure that the valve is moving when the shifter is moved.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If the tranny was ran low enough on fluid for long enough, it`s likely it cooked it. yank the dipstick and see what it smells like, if it smells burned the tranny`s burned. Lastly, to prevent this from happening again, there`s a tab on the dipstick tube that bolts to the bell housing to keep this from occuring, by all means bolt it up so this don`t happen again.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
Gone fishin'

It wasn't the dipstick that was removed, it was the dipstick tube. I accidently pulled it out some and didn't realize it when I was adjust the rockers on the engine. I drove it some after that and everything seemed fine. Then I parked it for about 2 hours and it was out of fluid.
I don't think the problem is the manuel linkage, I could shift through the gears with it sitting still and it felt like it was shifting normally but if I put into drive or reverse it wouldn't do a thing except act like it was in nuetral. I check the linkage but I doubt thats the problem. I will besure to check the converter bolts though. Thanks guys I appreciate your help

Brad
Old 05-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Gone fishin'

Check balls

Alright, I finally got the chance to go out and check what yall said. The pump is working, plenty of fluid, no burned smell from the dipstick, and checked the converter bolts.
I did just recently put in a B&M shift kit, but I did drive it some after wards and everything was fine with it. But something odd about it, that I just remembered. When I opened up the Transmmission to put in the kit. I noticed that there wasn't a single check ball anywhere. I didn't pay much attention to it since the transmission worked great before, and just put it back togather with out any. Could this be the problem? It did work just fine when I drove it until this happened.

Brad
Old 05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I would still pull the pan and check to make sure the linkage is moving the valve. It may feel like it is operating properly, and not be. If the "s" clip has come out of the valve, you won't feel it in the shifter. It can still go in and out of park, but not move the shift valve.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Gone fishin'

Thanks man, Ill check that out the next time I get to. I won't have a chance to mess with it for another couple of days.
It makes sense what your saying but how would running it out of fluid cause the s clip to come off?
Old 05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
Alright, I finally got the chance to go out and check what yall said. The pump is working, plenty of fluid, no burned smell from the dipstick, and checked the converter bolts.
I did just recently put in a B&M shift kit, but I did drive it some after wards and everything was fine with it. But something odd about it, that I just remembered. When I opened up the Transmmission to put in the kit. I noticed that there wasn't a single check ball anywhere. I didn't pay much attention to it since the transmission worked great before, and just put it back togather with out any. Could this be the problem? It did work just fine when I drove it until this happened.

Brad
Which B&M shift kit did you install? If I recall correctly there are supposed to be check balls in those.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:59 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Things don't have to be related. The fluid being would not cause the clip to come out. Moving the shifter from one gear to another can, if everything involved is right for it to happen.

In order to loose enough trans fluid to go from operating properly, to not moving, you should have a very large puddle under the vehicle. As most people that work on cars know, it takes very little fluid to make a large mess. The amount of fluid that you can loose from the dipstick tube being leaking will cause slipping, but you should still feel some engagement. That is unless the vehicle is parked pointing downhill.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:08 AM
Gone fishin'

Lonestar- I used the B&M transpak shift kit for TH-350c, I ordered it from summit, and the only other shiftkit by B&M for my tranny that they had was for a full manuel conversion. It didn't come with any check balls in the shiftkit, and when I opened up the transmission there was none in any of the locations that the instructions talked about.
Adtkart-I will pull that pan and take a look at the clip the next time I get a chance which wont be until monday or tuesday. There was a big puddle of fluid on the ground when it was leaking, but I didn't realize it was transmission fluid because I was adjusting the rockers on the engine and figured it was oil slung from the rockers. Im also useing B&M's trick shift fluid, so its blue instead of the normal red so It blended in more with the oil. It was park facing downhill to. I figured it lost even more when I drove it around the neighbor hood, and just left a trail of fluid around with out me realizing it, because of the tube being out of the transmission.

Thanks guy

Brad
Old 05-07-2005, 01:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Another thing to check is the vacuum modulator. If the diaphragm breaks, the tranny fluid is quickly sucked through the engine. When this happens it is pretty evident though 'cause there is a big cloud of white smoke following the car. Easy to check though, just pull the vacuum hose off the modulator and look at it. It should be bone dry. IF it is wet with tranny fluid the modulator is gone.

I assume you are checking the tranny fluid with the engine warm and idling like you should. You know of course if you check the fluid with the engine off it will show full but when it starts up the fluid is pumped from the pan into the torque converter and the tranny starves.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Gone fishin'

Ok sorry it took me a while to finally get the chance to try and figure it out some more.
I just pulled the pan off to check the S clip. It is all hooked up the way it is supposed to and the shift valve moves back and forth like it is supposed to. Modulator is good also. Any other Ideas what it could be guys?

Brad

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.