Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   TH 350 Transmission (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th-350-transmission-115228.html)

bct 05-02-2007 08:36 PM

TH 350 Transmission

My Chevy TH 350 transmission makes what sounds to me like a scraping sound in all gears. The fluid is nice and red and doesn't smell burned. The trans shifts fine. While I'm going down the road I slip the trans into neutral and the sound goes away. The scraping sounds like metal sliding against metal and is pretty loud. Thanks for any ideas.

Crosley 05-02-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bct
My Chevy TH 350 transmission makes what sounds to me like a scraping sound in all gears. The fluid is nice and red and doesn't smell burned. The trans shifts fine. While I'm going down the road I slip the trans into neutral and the sound goes away. The scraping sounds like metal sliding against metal and is pretty loud. Thanks for any ideas.

cracked flywheel..

flywheel rubs on the dust cover if there is one.

:cool:

bct 05-02-2007 09:08 PM

Would the sound stop when I shift into neutral if its the flywheel? I haven't put the dust cover on yet.

topdogger 05-02-2007 11:07 PM

I'm having a very similar issue with my transmission. I just put mine in and it sat for a few years. I'm thinking with mine I have some rust buildup in the tranny.

What's the history on your tranny?

malibu68 05-02-2007 11:41 PM

i have the same problem, i have a th400 and when i fire it up it sounds like something is goin to die. there is a lound scraping metal on metal sound. i think it is the flexplate. i saw there is a part that on the flexplate that was hittin the side of the tranny.

bct 05-04-2007 08:07 AM

I drove the doner car into my garage, pulled the trans and put it into my 55. It worked fine before I pulled it. The only thing I did different was add a floor shifter. Now that I think about it I didn't have the original speedometer cable. I wonder if that could have something to do with it? Plus, I'm still not sure if the sound would go away when I put it in neutral if it was the flex plate.

Crosley 05-04-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bct
I drove the doner car into my garage, pulled the trans and put it into my 55. It worked fine before I pulled it. The only thing I did different was add a floor shifter. Now that I think about it I didn't have the original speedometer cable. I wonder if that could have something to do with it? Plus, I'm still not sure if the sound would go away when I put it in neutral if it was the flex plate.

Cracked flex plate under NO load will often be quiet , unless it is really broken in pieces.

No load would be in park or neutral.