Hot Rod Forum banner

Th-400 ATF fluid selection?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rocketbird 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I will tell you my set up for what I know and hopefully I can get some insight as to what I need.

I just recently purchased a Hot Rod and this is the set up that I was told it had.

-Chevy 454 with a cam, heavier springs intake and 750 holley. (guy did not know if the pistons or the crank were aftermarket or not.
-Th-400 trans w/stage 3 shift kit.
-Ford 9" rear with 4.11's

So my plans with the car are to go to local cruise nights, shows, to the strip and just plain old driving on nice days. Seeing as I am relatively new to this type of set up I would love some feed back.

What I've been reading and hearing form different sources is that I should only use the dexron III ATF. Then I hear I should be only using Type F because of the shift kit.
So seeing as I don't know the full history on the fluid changes for this car I would love to start fresh. What should I do?
Same goes for the rear-end gear oil. Should I have a heavy weight like a 85w140 because of the gear ratio that's in the differential?

I do appreciate any info that you might be able to share with me.

P.S. the ATF Fluid that is in it now looks and smells clean still pinkish/red in colour.

Havent looked at the rear-end oil yet.

See less See more
#3 ·
dextron/mercron.. is NOT type f
I have a TCI street fighter, and they call for type f
b & m trick shift is rumored to be nothing more than type f with some extras added..

best would to ask the p/o
wonder if those oil labs that test motor oil could take a sample and tell you what in it..

#5 ·
I wonder if there is a place close to where I live that could test the oil. . . I will have to search that out. I think I will also send some emails out to a few different companies that make the shift kits and see what they have to say.

I do appreciate the input from you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.