Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TH 400 low gear conversion
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 04:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH 400 low gear conversion

I saw this in Jeg's, it looks pretty interesting. Talked to a mechanic friend and he says this gear set was used in big RVs from the factory. In my (so far) limited research, all I can find is straight cut vs. helical cut gears as the difference between heavy duty and regular planetary gear sets, no mention of gear ratios.

http://www.tciauto.com/components/lo..._planetary.htm

I would just as soon use OEM heavy duty RV rebuild parts in my trans, rather than spend twice as much to have brand name "hot rod" parts, so I'm trying to find info along this line......It's going slow doing the detective work by phone and foot, so I thought I'd throw out a line here as well. I would have thought this would be popular among hot rodders if it is for real, but hardly anyone I've talked to is familiar with it.

My car is a '73 Vette with a 350+/- hp SBC and a 3.08 rear end. The idea is to get a little better hole shot while keeping a good cruise RPM. My trans needs a rebuild anyway so I thought this might be a little more economical way to go than my dream of a BTO 200-4R conversion as it's the same ratios but without the overdrive, plus the savings of not changing rear end gears to go with an overdrive.

Any thoughts, ideas, whatever?

John

Last edited by JPhil; 08-25-2006 at 04:43 PM.