th 400 tailhousing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

th 400 tailhousing

So i just dropped a new motor transmission in my 77 firebird. I went with a th400 oppose to my factory th350, i never even through about it but as soon as i tried to line up the crossmember, i realized that the tail housing on my newly rebuilt th400 was way to long.

Am i able to just bolt on a shorter th400 housing or do i need a different length shaft in the transmission, hence removing it again. Man i hope not.... if this is the case people will probably be finding tools in a 10 mile radius of my house, as i tend to throw them in these situations.

Hit me with the bad news

thanks guys.
Sam.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 03:42 AM
More for Less Racer

If you have to change the tail housing length, you have to also change the tail shaft itself, and you know what that means..... it was the first piece put into the case at assembly time

What length tail housing is on it now??

The th-400 has the mount farther from the front of the case, so you have to slide the trans crossmember back or get the correct TH-400 crossmember, can't remember if the 2nd Gen F-body has different crossmembers for different transmissions like the 1st Gen Camaro/Firebird does.

If you have to have a driveshaft made anyway(the 350 shaft won't fit with any length 400) why not just leave the long tail on it and have a shorter driveshaft made accordingly??

Last edited by ericnova72; 03-08-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

yes a second gen camaro uses 2 different crossmembers, 1 for the 350 trans and 1 for the 400 trans, so i was told. I was also told you can use the one from the 350 if you flipped it around. IM not 100 % sure , this is what i planned on doing with mine but i havent got that far yet.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:

Unless your 350 had the 12 inch tail housing and the 400 has the "D" tail housing, you are going to have to replace or shorten the drive shaft. Whatever, you will have to replace the 350 yoke with a 400 yoke.

In order to change tail housings, you have to change the output shaft. Swapping out the shafts is not that hard. What is hard is that you have to completely disassemble the tranny to get to it.

If it were me, I would make sure the 400 was the "C", or short version. I would find a 400 crossmember, figure how to move the existing crossmember back, or modify the crossmember to accommodate the 400. Modify the drive shaft or have one built.

You will also have to put a micro-switch on the gas pedal or the carburetor as the 400 has an electric TV instead of cable actuated.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/trans_dims.asp

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.