TH 700R4 tranny help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2006, 07:19 PM
How can it go faster?

Last journal entry: Been a long Winter
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH 700R4 tranny help

k, my 83 K5 Blazer w/ 350 SBC has a 700R4 tranny in it and recently it is beginning to slip when in first gear (not on 1 on the column but when it actually is in low gear...it does this in all shift positions). The tranny is supposed to be a fairly new rebuild (1 year or so)..

Any thoughts or advice. Fluid is at proper level and in good shape. Bought filter and fluid today...gonna change tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

Is this the factory engine/trans combo? If not, what about your tv cable? Is it hooked up properly? For the best information, go to bowtie overdrives on the web.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

in reply, no it is not the original combo as the blazer was originally diesel...I have had it for less than a year and it came as is...

Gonna check out the TV cable tomorrow when I change fluids. I don't know why it would be different than before...nothing has changed and the tranny worked great before.

Personally I think the band for first gear is out/going out or the pump isn't working properly to circulate the fluid.

Will post more tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

there is NO band for first gear, it is a clutch pack.

If the TV cable is not adjusted correctly the tranny will burn up.

If the tranny slips on take off in first gear regardless of the shifter position, there is a problem in the forward clutch pack. There is an aluminum piston there, it often cracks with major pressure loss & slippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magikal
in reply, no it is not the original combo as the blazer was originally diesel...I have had it for less than a year and it came as is...

Gonna check out the TV cable tomorrow when I change fluids. I don't know why it would be different than before...nothing has changed and the tranny worked great before.

Personally I think the band for first gear is out/going out or the pump isn't working properly to circulate the fluid.

Will post more tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:51 AM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

ok, a few things here now that I got the pan off. First the fluid does look slightly burnt but not too bad. Same for metal particles...I can see some minor glitter to the fluid and when I say minor, I mean very minor...no shavings or anything. Second, I found one of the wires going to the valve body with a bare spot (indicated by the arrow in the pic) which I believe could be a big issue...more on that later, wanted to post and then some research.

Third, the old filter was warped on the top side of it....not a good sign I would imagine.

Advice please...I need this up and running soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf image2 copy.pdf (181.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf 000_0345.pdf (233.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf 000_0351.pdf (108.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

ok....I changed the fluid and filter and yes it helped. But there still seems to be some slipping...seems to be more in the high 1st/low 2nd range...I did do a wire up for the Torque Converter lock-up using a 3-way toggle. It is supposed to option for (1) 4th gear lock up only, (2) off (no lockup in any gear), or (3) 2nd,3rd,& 4th lock up

I did run an LED inline to indicate when the lock up is occuring. The 4th only lock up setting is working great as is the off setting. But the 2/3/4 setting isn't working. Can someone tell me what the switch indicated in the following picture does exactly? I can't find it anywhere.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring copy.pdf (239.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
ok....I changed the fluid and filter and yes it helped. But there still seems to be some slipping...seems to be more in the high 1st/low 2nd range...I did do a wire up for the Torque Converter lock-up using a 3-way toggle. It is supposed to option for (1) 4th gear lock up only, (2) off (no lockup in any gear), or (3) 2nd,3rd,& 4th lock up

I did run an LED inline to indicate when the lock up is occuring. The 4th only lock up setting is working great as is the off setting. But the 2/3/4 setting isn't working. Can someone tell me what the switch indicated in the following picture does exactly? I can't find it anywhere.

where did you get this wire up information?

The pressure switch you are concerned with is not the correct type for what you are trying to do.... IF I am looking at the position of the wires correctly. It is difficult to follow the path of each wire in the photo.

The second switch does not 'lockout' the converter. Incorrect term, it is a lock up converter . That switch is correct for what you are trying to do.

The first switch needs to be a black metal switch which is a normally closed switch.

Oh , the switch you want info on is plugged into the 4-3 sequence valve assembly
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

this was the original wiring setup/schematic....The pics you see are what I had when I dropped the pan.

All the data I collected is via the knowledge base here on Hotrodders.com

This is the one of many links that I followed.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

As I understand it, the solenoid locks up the converter and the switches are different ways of activating the solenoid. I know the one switch is for 4 gear lockup, actuated when pressure reaches a certain point AND it is in 4th gear.

now, what activates the other switch in question?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sumner ( Purplesage Trading Post) is a good friend of mine.

You need to re-read his wire / toggle switch diagrams. You do not have your wires setup as his is.

His setup uses one pressure switch , not two on the v-body. The switch you are worried about is unneeded, not used , can be removed and plug the hole.

Quote:
this was the original wiring setup/schematic....The pics you see are what I had when I dropped the pan.

All the data I collected is via the knowledge base here on Hotrodders.com

This is the one of many links that I followed.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p1.html

As I understand it, the solenoid locks up the converter and the switches are different ways of activating the solenoid. I know the one switch is for 4 gear lockup, actuated when pressure reaches a certain point AND it is in 4th gear.

now, what activates the other switch in question?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

this is how the wires WERE...they no longer are wired as such...I did run through the second switch thinking it should be....so basically you just supply power to the solenoid direct to activate the torque converter locker full time on one leg of the switch...the other routing through the 4th gear pressure switch.

All the same, what system is that second switch on?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.