th350 first and reverse gears only... i m stumped?! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

th350 first and reverse gears only... i m stumped?!

i have a big problem and need help... i bought a th350 to put back in my 86 shortbed 4x4 pickup that i m putting back together after totalling 7 years ago... shes got the classic 350 powerplant nothing wild, supposed to have a 700R4 but the previous owner to my father put in the th350 kit, and i have a 208 transfer case... this all worked very well together until i wrecked and totaled it... now i found a new frame from a doner truck and i m putting it back together... the transmission was checked out by two shops(the one guy i actually trust)and both say the tranny is rebuilt correct and should work. b.s. cause it only has first gear and reverse. i was told to switch valve bodies... didnt work! well then it we switched the "guts" into a different housing cause i was told the housing was bad... still the same. Ive replaced the modulator valve three times and have plenty of vacume from the intake maifold. tried two torque converters.i have the tv cable unhooked from the carb... but i always thought it should still shift that way. Does anyone have ANY ideas of what i m missing or what could be wrong. anything will be appretiated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Trash the tranny and start with a fresh one.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
More for Less Racer

Was the governor changed, or is it the same one in both cases?? Was it checked??
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I would ask if the valve body separator plate was changed or not? Is the plate an OEM piece?

There is a factory plate that will not work correctly (no shifts) on all cases
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM

thanks for the replys guys... yes the governer was one of the may thing that was replaced. but as for the seperator plate... i m going to assume that it is OEM. but i dont know for sure. but since you mention it that is one of the very few things i used from the original tranny that didnt shift... i think i will try swapping seperator plates before swapping to a manual tranny... in the meantime... i would like somemore info ont the urban legend of the non shifting seperator plate?! thanks for the help guys!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood03
info ont the urban legend of the non shifting seperator plate?! thanks for the help guys!!!!!
If in doubt, get a Trans-Go, etc. kit w/a plate in it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Ok here is the up date... I switched out the seperator plate... With a b&m plate that I had and in the process ended up putting in the heavy duty shift kit... I have all gears and she shifts stronger than ever and I m so happy I could cry! BUT I don't know if I fixed the original problem or for that matter what it was... If any one knows please inform me cause I m befuddled... If it was the mysterious plate y is that so and thank you transmission gods for bestowing such knowledge upon the correct people... And thanks for the advice guys!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

the no shift separator plate is not a myth or make believe.

if you know where to look , the plate is obviously different. It can be made to work ,but why mess with it when a swap out of the plate is quick and easier. Gaskets need a mod too
Old 03-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Oh after today I completely believe in the no shift separator plate... But when you think about it from a shade tree mechanic's point of view(such as me) and the amount of transmissions and plates and the odds of receiving that particular plate... It kinda seems like and urban legend or wise tail... I m really curious as to why it doesn't work or what happened that day on the assembly line... I honestly want to know more about this plate and where the difference in plates are... Is it a hole drilled the wrong size or in the wrong place? Please let me know...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.