Hot Rod Forum banner

th350 fluid time

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sqzbox 
#1 ·
im new to adding fluid to the transmission. it was rebuilt, and torque converter has fluid. my question is this ... before I introduce 5 or so quarts of fluid, can someone check me and tell me all the places fluid can come out, so I can verify the holes are plugged? there is a modulator present, pan has all the bolts, stick and its holder have the rubber ring on them, speedo cable and housing in place. am I missing some obscure hole somewhere where all my fluid will sneak out over night?

#3 ·
thanks... heres the answers

Is the Trans in a vehicle with TC/TorqueConverter & DS/DriveShaft connected?
Detent Cable Hole, Front & Rear seal.

Yes, the rebuilt trans is in the vehicle and connected to the newly rebuilt 350. There is a TC. The driveshaft is not in place. At the end of the th350, ive got just the geared end, no yoke.

I didnt put the two together so ill check on front and rear seals. I would certainly hope to go to that much trouble they put the seals in, but ive seen crazier stuff. detent hole???? wheres it at and ill check.

#6 ·
I'm assuming you mean, Gear = splined Output Shaft.
The rear Seal is in the Tailhousing. When the Yoke is slid in it seals against it.

Did you install the TC correctly?
Turning & pushing, should feel/hear 3-clicks, Input Shaft splines, Stator Splines and Pump splines/lugs.
Should have 1/8" to 3/16" between the Flexplate & TC before slidng the TC forward to bolt to the Flexplate. If not the Pump Gears can be damaged/broken.

#7 ·
I'm assuming you mean, Gear = splined Output Shaft.
The rear Seal is in the Tailhousing. When the Yoke is slid in it seals against it.

Did you install the TC correctly?
Turning & pushing, should feel/hear 3-clicks, Input Shaft splines, Stator Splines and Pump splines/lugs.
Should have 1/8" to 3/16" between the Flexplate & TC before sliding the TC forward to bolt to the Flexplate. If not the Pump Gears can be damaged/broken.

I didnt install the trans or rebuild it. it was done and bolted to the engine when I got the project. if the rear seal is inside the long tailhousing, I cant see it. I will check when I get home and see if it looks like theres anything in there. I do have a splined output shaft present and sticking out. I did not install the TC.

#8 ·
Studedean said:
im new to adding fluid to the transmission. it was rebuilt, and torque converter has fluid. my question is this ... before I introduce 5 or so quarts of fluid, can someone check me and tell me all the places fluid can come out, so I can verify the holes are plugged? there is a modulator present, pan has all the bolts, stick and its holder have the rubber ring on them, speedo cable and housing in place. am I missing some obscure hole somewhere where all my fluid will sneak out over night?
Just so I can get on the same page, Is the tranny leaking overnight? or are you just replaceing all the gaskets and seals to be sure it doesn't happen? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.