TH350 kickdown cable - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 05:52 AM
Honorary Redneck

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 kickdown cable

Hi guys,
I'm trying to adjust the kickdown cable on my TH350 (in a 78 Camaro) and the manual just says "only needs doing when installing a new cable, push accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and it will adjust itself",
I haven't changed the cable, but I have changed the carb and bracket and I can't seem to get the auto box to kickdown.

I'm presuming that there's some sort of mechanism on the cable that comes set at minimum and then when you push the gas pedal all the way open it sets the maximum, is there a way to reset this to minimum to allow me to use the gas pedal to set the new maximum?

Or do I just need to keep adjusting the bracket tighter to get more pull on the cable?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2003, 07:18 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Andybird, the new carb and brackets most likely has different geometry than the OEM setup, so you can throw out the book directions. If you do not have enough adequate adjusting range on the cable setup, you will have to change your carb/bracket geometry to get in the range for it to work properly.

Trees
Old 07-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

With the engine off; hold the throttle to its wide open position. Adjust the kickdown cable so that when the throttle is wide open the cable is fully extended. That's it. ENJOY!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 03:21 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

I've adjusted mine twice. After doing as Frisco said, I took my truck out and tested the kickdown ... I was having to press down further on my pedal than I wanted before it kicked in, so I moved the "stopper" at the end of the kickdown cable (by the carb) a quarter-inch closer and that did the trick.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 07-25-2003, 07:54 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Andy... On the cable where it attaches at the bracket , there is a piece that will release the cable. It is a black plastic piece that you can either push up with your finger or pry it up with a screwdriver. When you release the cable, it will be tighter. Then have someone depress the gas pedal to the floor, and push that piece back down to lock the cable. Some people try doing it by themselves by opening the throttle at the carb. The problem with this proceedure is that often the carb can actually open further than what the pedal will open it. This results in a loose cable and the kick down does not work properly.

Although, ideally it should only have to be done when the cable is replaced, this is not an ideal world. The cables do stretch and it may have been adjusted over the years. Also as said before, the geometry of the carb may make adjustment necessary. And also as has been said before, you can manually make further adjustments. You do take a chance of harming the trans or even the engine, by over reving it by dropping the gear at too high of a speed.

Good Luck

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.