Hot Rod Forum banner

th350 low roller clutch and 700r4?

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Tissue 
#1 ·
okay i broke my th350 low roller clutch and ordered a new one from some place in california. it got here today and the part looks similar but different. i looked at the invoice and it says "Low Roller Clutch 700R4 (early) 82-2/9/87" my th350 is from 79 so i guess i have 2 questions. i remember reading that someone had swapped the th350 roller clutch with a 700r4 in their 350. 1. is this possible? and 2. does the year difference matter?

#2 ·
early 700r4 used the same roller clutch as the t-350.

the late 700r4 roller clutch is wider. It also requires the matching parts to install into the t-350. You must have the correct center support from a 700r4 to set the low/reverse clutch pack clearance.

If the incorrect wider 700r4 center support is used , you can have a low/reverse clutch pack that is too tight or loose

#3 ·
if by center support you mean the cylinder part that the roller clutch slips onto. i have the one from the th350 and the 700r4 roller fits on it perfectly. however it doesnt look the same. im lost as what to do. maybe they sent the wrong part...

#4 ·
===== in your first post you appear to quote the invoice;

" i looked at the invoice and it says "Low Roller Clutch 700R4 (early) 82-2/9/87"

that is the same roller clutch as in the t-350 and would explain why it fits the t-350 center support you have. If the retaining snap ring will install and hold the roller clutch in place it sounds correct to me.

It does not need to look the same , it needs to function the same. There are variations on design from different manufacturers

Tissue said:
if by center support you mean the cylinder part that the roller clutch slips onto. i have the one from the th350 and the 700r4 roller fits on it perfectly. however it doesnt look the same. im lost as what to do. maybe they sent the wrong part...

#5 ·
okay so try it out and if it does fit, it is held in by the snap ring, and it allows everything to turn only clockwise(the correct direction) then it will work. i guess i should have thought of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.