Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-350 to M21 or T-350 to 700R4

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  thecamaroguy 
#1 ·
My 1967 Camaro has a TH350 that has decided to start slipping very bad.

The car was orginially a 4 Speed car, but the previous owner pulled the 4 Speed and put in a TH350. I have no clue where the orginal 4 speed is...neither does he. The clutch pedal is still in the car.

Will a M21 fit where a 350 Tranny was without much modification?

What about the drive shaft?
Transmission mount?

What all is needed to make this change back?

What about if I decided to go with a 700R4? The only reason I am considering this is because I know where on is at a great price.

Should I just get my 350 rebuilt for now and make the change to a 4 speed later when I have more $$ to throw at the car?

The car is a work in progress...It is in primer and will need to be painted, so I'm still just building this car. Eventually I will want to get back to a 4 Speed, but right now...I'm not sure I will be able to lay down a bunch of money to get there.

See less See more
#2 ·
TH350 to M21 or TH350 to 700R4

I guess it really depends on what you plan to do with the car. for resto, go back with the originall. for the track use the 350, for normall use the 700r4 is fine. the 700r4 is not as tough as the 350, but it does have that extra gear. the value of your car will be greater with original parts. so even if you don't want to use it, find the original trans, just in case you plan to sell later. Been there, and wish i would've done that

#3 ·
I have called around and found a M21 with the correct date for a 67 Chevy...not sure if it was one that came out a camaro...but it is dated correctly. The casting number is 3885010.

The guy wants a nomial fee for everything from the bellhousing back, including the shifter, z bar, and tranny. I just have to get a clutch and a bellhousing, if I want something a 11", but he said he will let me have a 10.5" if I decide to go with this package.

Now...this will be $850 plus the clutch. Is that a good price?

Will I need anything else to make the conversion?
What should I look for when asking this guy questions?

What would it cost to get my 350 rebuilt?
What would a good used 350 cost?

I really don't want to spend $850 right now...but if it's going to cost $500 or so for my 350 to get rebuilt or a good used 350...then I might have to consider doing the extra money.

#5 ·
Great thanks.

I have called around for getting my 350 re-built.

I was told $800 from one person...he charges book time plus parts.

I was told $500 from someone else if they pull it and put it back in...that would come with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. If I pull the tranny and take to him, it would be $400 with a 30 day warranty.

I have called around a few other places trying to find a rebuilt 350...but the two I called did not have any. I'm checking with some guys here at work, but I have not heard from them today.

I found another 4 speed, but he never gave me a solid price...I'm waiting to hear from him.

On the 4 speed in my first post, that would include everything but the clutch (if I wanted the 10.5") or I would have to get a 11" also. I'm assuming they are going to be around $150, so I'm looking at $1000 to get it to a 4 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.