Hot Rod Forum banner

th350 problem help !!!!

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  383silverado 
#1 · (Edited)
i posted this in the trans section yesterday couldn't get help there ,

busted my drive shaft carrier bearing in my 62 impala yesterday !!! replaced it 2 months ago and don't drive it very often about 2-3 times a month, anyways changed the u joints and c-bearing today i think the trans is shot ( th350 ) couldn't get the yoke on the trans all the way, it would only go in about 1 inch but the yoke is about 6 inches does any one have any idea why ?

#2 ·
the yoke did not come out of the trans. checked the splines on the yoke and the trans both were fine. but the c- bearing was chingered spanglish for f***ed up

is there any thing in the tail shaft of the trans that would shove the yoke almost all the way out ?

because i'm sure thats why the c-bearing to go out, to much pressure on it.

#3 ·
Jmark P.S. is it as hot in Tucson as it is in Phx? LOL 108 today!! 113 by Wed![/QUOTE said:
it was 101 tucson today

well i don't feel like messing with it the trans to much so i guess i will have to yank the trans out of my 64 chevy truck it's a built th400 from hughes good for 600 hp that will be fun pulling 2 and :thumbup: installing 1 oh well mans got to do what a mans got to do right !!!!!!!!

#4 ·
383silverado said:
i posted this in the trans section yesterday couldn't get help there ,

............ :D

you post late in the evening on a sunday in the tranny section and it is Fathers day too.... and an answer was not posted quick enough.

that is interesting

#5 ·
hey take it easy, didn't mean to step on any toes here just wanted to see if i could figure out a solution to this problem asap! didn't know how fast people would respond on the trans section

also didn't want to pull my trans out of my 64 truck but it looks like i'm going to have to! my 64 is a long term project anyways well thnk for ll the help everyone!! :thumbup:

#6 ·
Jmark said:
Some words of caution. The 400 will need a different cross member, kickdown wired up, different yoke and driveshaft length change. Not just a bolt in.

(update, supposed to be 118 by Friday!!!) Crap!
i do have the 400 yoke, the 400 is the same length as the th350, and yes the 400 is electric kick down but do need different cross member for the trans but my frame is an x frame so don't know if i can move the cross member? might just have the th350 rebuilt save alot of time and head ache's

#7 ·
Jmark said:
Did the trans work ok when the drive shaft came loose? Do you have another 350 yoke somewhere you can try sliding in? No need to pull the trans if it's ok.

"IF" your trans has the 0-ring sleeve I mentioned, it could have slipped some and is now cocked down and preventing the yoke from going in. Might be worth pulling the 4 tailhousing bolts and remove the TH and have a look.
yes it worked when i pulled it off

no yoke but i will look for one

i will also pull the tail housing off to check it out thanks for tip

#9 · (Edited)
:welcome:
mrl said:
I need to change the driveshaft carrier bearing on my 62 Biscayne. Does GM still sell these or do you know of a shop/store that does?

try inland empire driveline they have a billet hd c bearing for 109 in a magizine i just read 1-800-800-0109

http://www.iedls.com/page11.html

the 15 dollar one tore into 2 pieces maybe that's what f-ed up my trans ! i bought a rebuilt trans with a shift kit for $550 ( 6 month warranty ) and it cost me $500 to rebuild my drive shaft 3 new u joints, new yoke, and a billet hd c- bearing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.