Th350 question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Automotive LTD Technition

Wiki Edits: 0

Th350 question

do they make H.D Planatarry Gearsets for a TH350K transmission? this is the 4 wheel drive versian of the TH350C it's out of an '88Blazer that had a 5.7L SBC bolted to the front of it, and we bolted a 4.3L V6 to it for use in an '83.5 wagoneer (midsize it orgionally had a 2.5L 4 banger) i was wondering if there was a way to switch the First gear from 3.07:1 to someware in the negiborhood of 4.something:1 or a little more realisticily 3.10:1 or so, and i was also wanting to know if there was a way to chainge the gear ratio of an NV242 T-case from 2.74:1 to someware around 3:1 like the old Dana 300 T-case please help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper426
do they make H.D Planatarry Gearsets for a TH350K transmission? this is the 4 wheel drive versian of the TH350C it's out of an '88Blazer that had a 5.7L SBC bolted to the front of it, and we bolted a 4.3L V6 to it for use in an '83.5 wagoneer (midsize it orgionally had a 2.5L 4 banger) i was wondering if there was a way to switch the First gear from 3.07:1 to someware in the negiborhood of 4.something:1 or a little more realisticily 3.10:1 or so, and i was also wanting to know if there was a way to chainge the gear ratio of an NV242 T-case from 2.74:1 to someware around 3:1 like the old Dana 300 T-case please help
there never was a 350 turbo of any version lower than 2.52 1st gear ratio. the only thing you can do is get the lower planetary gear to convert 1st gear to 2.75. you can find it at tci.com
Old 09-04-2006, 02:35 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

and if it is really 3.07 1st gear then you have a 700r4 which sounds more like what came in that model anyway
Old 09-06-2006, 05:12 PM

origionally it was a 4 banger attached to a Christler 4 spd, i was looking in the wrong column, when i was looking at the gearing O.O the transmission i had had someware around a 2.90 or something like that, it was the light duty transmission, we put in this TH350 that we had a stage 2 shift kit put in, and Waow big difference in both power and shifts that old transmission i guess had a loose band or something but i could hardly feal it shift between gears till it hit lockup, how much of a difference would a 2.75 gearset make? greater low end torque, or just a little more power off the line?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
origionally it was a 4 banger attached to a Christler 4 spd, i was looking in the wrong column, when i was looking at the gearing O.O the transmission i had had someware around a 2.90 or something like that, it was the light duty transmission, we put in this TH350 that we had a stage 2 shift kit put in, and Waow big difference in both power and shifts that old transmission i guess had a loose band or something but i could hardly feal it shift between gears till it hit lockup, how much of a difference would a 2.75 gearset make? greater low end torque, or just a little more power off the line?
with 2.75 1st with 3.42 rear you get the same final drive as a stoch 2.52 1st with a 3.73 rear. thats the best example i can give. going with a non lockup converter will make a world of difference, you may not need the lower planetary. alot cheaper anyway
Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 PM

i have my factory 3.73 gears in the rear end, and i was considering stepping up to deeper 4.10's so basicly it wouldnt make much difference if i swapped to 4.10 from 3.73 with a 2.75 first gear? or would it try to "Jump" when i was in 4Lo and give it "a little too much" throttle? i'm trying to get all the Low end i can get out of the motor, we put a rather large cam for a V6 and we ended up Haveing to run a 4 barrel carb and i opted to run True Duel Exhaust just because it was the easyest thing to do, and we were in a hurry to get the truck out of the garage, as i said earlyer it origionally had a 2.5L Iron Duke Buic motor.... that i tried several times to blow up. and failed.... i opted to run Electric fans and we found a High Output alternator that somebody put into the blazer we yanked the tranny out of, it was an '88 Chevy K5 blazer with a 350SBC, i was told this was a desierable tranny because according to what i heard the clutches are bigger or something like that, the blazer supposidly had a "tow package" but my dad said that it didnt, because chevy liked to use the TH400 as there tow package, which is the transmission i wanted to use to begine with
Old 09-06-2006, 05:39 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
i have my factory 3.73 gears in the rear end, and i was considering stepping up to deeper 4.10's so basicly it wouldnt make much difference if i swapped to 4.10 from 3.73 with a 2.75 first gear? or would it try to "Jump" when i was in 4Lo and give it "a little too much" throttle? i'm trying to get all the Low end i can get out of the motor, we put a rather large cam for a V6 and we ended up Haveing to run a 4 barrel carb and i opted to run True Duel Exhaust just because it was the easyest thing to do, and we were in a hurry to get the truck out of the garage, as i said earlyer it origionally had a 2.5L Iron Duke Buic motor.... that i tried several times to blow up. and failed.... i opted to run Electric fans and we found a High Output alternator that somebody put into the blazer we yanked the tranny out of, it was an '88 Chevy K5 blazer with a 350SBC, i was told this was a desierable tranny because according to what i heard the clutches are bigger or something like that, the blazer supposidly had a "tow package" but my dad said that it didnt, because chevy liked to use the TH400 as there tow package, which is the transmission i wanted to use to begine with
turbo 400s usually came in 3/4 ton and heavier and i wouldnt think it would make much difference. but i know this, 4.10 gears will get better mileage with 33 inch tires than a 3.73, my cousin said no but i got 4.10s with 31 inch tires,bulldog tranny i get 12 mpg he has 3.73 33 inch tires,bulldog tranny, and gets 9 mpg. so it might be better to 4.10 instead.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:45 PM

makes sence, and i'd be able to put a little more power to the ground as well, either 4.10 or 4.33.... oh the possabilitys, my dad told me about a truck he built when he was a kid, he got ahold of a set of Rockwell 2.5Ton axles that have the 7.something:1 ratios and he put them under a '79 Dodge i think he said it was a Power waggon, he said he couldnt run faster then 40 on the highway, but there wasnt anything that it wouldnt go through i'm looking for a more highway-able versian of something like that, but i'm not rock crawling, i'm just out playing in the occasional mud hole, and climbing things ever' so often, you know the basic trail ride , i talked to my dad about the 4.10's and he said the'd be good, but i'd have to stay away from the expressway with it O.O he said it'd wind the engine too tight he estimated around 3500 currently i turn 2150 at 65mph on the highway... maybe i'll stick with 3.73... or go to a 3.88
if they make one like that

Last edited by Jeeper426; 09-06-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:01 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
makes sence, and i'd be able to put a little more power to the ground as well, either 4.10 or 4.33.... oh the possabilitys, my dad told me about a truck he built when he was a kid, he got ahold of a set of Rockwell 2.5Ton axles that have the 7.something:1 ratios and he put them under a '79 Dodge i think he said it was a Power waggon, he said he couldnt run faster then 40 on the highway, but there wasnt anything that it wouldnt go through i'm looking for a more highway-able versian of something like that, but i'm not rock crawling, i'm just out playing in the occasional mud hole, and climbing things ever' so often, you know the basic trail ride , i talked to my dad about the 4.10's and he said the'd be good, but i'd have to stay away from the expressway with it O.O he said it'd wind the engine too tight he estimated around 3500 currently i turn 2150 at 65mph on the highway... maybe i'll stick with 3.73... or go to a 3.88
if they make one like that
you ever watch powerblock tv on spike ? stacey david on trucks built almost the same thing, rockwell axles in a 1940 dodge power wagon he named it sgt. rock
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

what tire size you using?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.