TH350 rear clutch retaining spring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 04:03 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 rear clutch retaining spring

Hey Guys! I am newly registered here. I have came to this board and gotten answers to my questions tons of times using the search, but it isn't working this time. I am rebuilding my first turbo 350, and I am to the point where I need to remove the reverse and low clutch retaining spring. How do I do it?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2004, 12:41 AM

I think that you will have to get a clutch spring compressor to get that retaining ring out. There might be an easier way, but that is the the only way that I know of.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:42 AM

Last photo:

I made mine from a long piece of 3/8" bar stock. One end is threaded to take a nut, this nut retains a piece of bar stock approx 5/8" wide that is bent to form a modified "C" with a 3/8" hole drilled in center, when installed on the rod it looks like an E with legs down. The other end of the bar is bent into a stirrup type shape. With the trans setting on its rear flange over a hole in my work table. The rod is enserted from the bottom up thru the case, the bar stock is slipped over the threaded end and retained with a nut. This assembled unit is then dropped to the rear spring retainer and with one leg of the tool on each side of the spring retainer and the rod centered in the output hole. Then all you do is put your foot in the stirrup and push down, this compresses the rear spring retainer so you can remove the snap ring. To install you just reverse the procedure.

The tool can be made for very little money from hardware store parts, a vise, hacksaw,a drilled hole. a 3/8" die, and a big hammer!
Old 02-28-2004, 07:17 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Hey Bobcrman,

Could you post a pic or two of that tool?

Dewey
Old 02-28-2004, 10:37 AM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

I think that I might be talking about something else. The spring that I am talking about is the spring that keeps pressure on the clutch pack from the side. It runs right along the side in between the clutchs and case. Is that what you were talking about? Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2004, 01:10 PM

AMDAP- it sounds like you are talking about the anti-clunk spring or the case saver. If you are, the anti-clunk spring should just pull right out, if not, try using a small screwdriver for a little more leverage. If it is the case saver, I can't say for sure if it just sits in there or is held in by something, I have never done one w/ a case saver. Hope this helps.

BOBCRMAN- thanks for posting that. I have been looking for instuctions to make one, but couldn't find any.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

Are you talking about the "anti clunk spring" ? or the case snap ring ? I thought you were asking about the retainer ring for the reverse low piston, it can be almost impossible to remove and install if you don't have the correct stuff. I have tried to download a pic of the tool I described but the site keeps rejecting it for size even tho I've reduced the thing to 1/4 page.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

If I am understanding the current line of thought here:

there is only a snap ring that holds the center support in the case where the anti clunk spring sits.. BUT

If the case lugs are worn , the anti clunk spring will push the center support lugs into the case lugs and you cannot easily remove the center support.

What you must do is get some snap ring pliers and stick the nose of them into a small opening in the case lugs and move the ceter support back to a position where the lugs will pass each other. Look at all of the lugs and center support, you will see the opening I mention

have the tranny standing on the end of the out put shaft so there is a slight preload to push the center support out of the case.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Well I just went and picked up my book. Sorry for the confusion...It is acctually called the low and reverse clutch support retainer spring...still stuck at the same spot. THANKS GUYS! YOU GUYS ROCK!
Old 02-29-2004, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

Hi AMDAP and welcome to the board.

I recently did my first 350 too and had quite a time with that snap ring. I used 2, 5" "C" clamps coming in from the back side of the tranny to compress the spring plate. Problem is I bent the spring plate some and decided to get a good one and have a tranny ship reinstall it for me. The shop sold me a 9" output shaft and extension housing and installed the low/reverse apply piston for me for $30.

My suggestion is to take the case to any tranny shop and have them compress it with their tool and then you can replace the seals on the apply piston and have them re-install it. Should take about 2 minutes!
Also, there is a square looking bump on the back side of the apply piston that MUST go into the matching recess on the case. Its very apparent when you look at it. If you don't get it in the right place, you won't get the correct amount of steels and frictions in AND the parking pawl will not properly engage the drum when you put it in park. Its not hard, just need to pay close attention to how it goes in.

Also, there are 2 different versions of the apply pistons in the tranny. There are longer or thicker ones that are used in the 6 cyl and some V8 versions. With these, you will have one steel and one friction left over when you get it back together. There were 4 different pistons in the tranny that I used and all 4 were the thicker ones and I had left over steels and frictions. I went to a local Ammco shop and they had a full set of the thinner ones and gave them to me no charge. At that point I was able to use ALL the steels and frictions in the tranny. Pretty nice of them!

If you find that you have these pistons, you can ck at local tranny shops for the thinner ones that allow you to use ALL the steels and frictions that come in the rebuild kit.

Mark
Old 02-29-2004, 09:00 PM
CEO of The AMDAP Mulisha

Hey Guys! I got the retainer spring out!!! Now I am to the point that all of you are talking about. I am going to work on fabbing up that tool in the morning. If we had a tranny shop here, where I live, I would have just brought it there to get it rebuilt. Living on this island is good for teaching your self things...THANKS!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.