Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - T-350 rear seal leak
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 PM

Last journal entry: Dateline Dec. 2004
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Seal Leak Saddness

Quote:
Originally posted by stuartc
when you removed the output shaft flange did you check wear the seals runs to see if there were any tram lines i,e worn flange
was the flange a good fit on the splines i.e tight or loose ?
The bushing looked like it needed replacing. I don't know what a tram line is. I need to get a book on this stuff I think. If you mean if there was wear at the point where the seal contacts the drive shaft yoke. I don't think I paid attention to look. The penalty for being a novice is missing all the things I should have looked for the FIRST time I replaced the seal.

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M CUSTOM
Did you check to see if there were grooves worn in the slip yoke?

If so, either a repair sleeve can be installed (if you can find one) or a new yoke is in order.

If the yoke is OK, did you happen to apply a small amount of transmission fluid to the surface of the yoke, and inner surface of the seal?

If not, you could have prematurely worn the seal.
I did lubricate the seal prior to installing it. With the seal, does the seal come in different diameters? The seal seat was correct and seated firm. Another novice miss on my part was knowing how tight the seal should be in relation to the yoke when it is slipped back into place.

ANY recommendations on a good tranny book would be appreciated. I don't mind reading/learning. I guess I was being hopeful that replacing the seal was going to fix my problem and it did not. Other than that, I like the 350turbo. Lots of Giddy Yup.

billg