TH350 Roller Clutch help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 03:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 Roller Clutch help

Hello all,

I'm doing a tear-down of my TH350 and the roller clutch support assembly plate is stuck inside the case. The plate seems to have rotated counter-clockwise so that the cutouts in the plate that allow it to slide past the raised guides in the case no longer line up. The guides and cutouts are mis-aligned by approx 1/4 inch. I have tried using a screwdriver and hammer to tap the plate clockwise with no success. This is my first rebuild so I'm not familiar enough with the components to know what could be hanging the plate up. Any suggestions on getting the plate out? The teardown had been going smoothly up to this point.

If posting a picture would help, I can do that.
Thanks for the help,
Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

Chris,
The center support has a spring that holds it in the counter clockwise position. You need to push the spring over to allow the center support to rotate clockwise and get it out from the notches it has worn into the aluminum and then lift it out. The best thing to use is another person with a long screwdriver or pry bar to push over (to the side, in a clockwise motion) on the end of the spring, it only sticks up about 1/4" above the support. Then reach in with both of your hands and rotate and lift up. It is easier to grab if you take out the inner race of the roller clutch. You may also have to make some hook tools out of stiff wire or an old antennae to help you with lifting.

This spring is designed to keep the center support from rattling and wearing into the aluminum, however, there is always some wear.

Good luck and let us know if you get it out OK!

Rick
Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 AM

thanks!

Thanks for the help. I will give it a shot first thing in the morning. Am I correct in assuming that since notches have been worn into the case, I will have to replace it?

Thanks again,

Chris
Old 10-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

Chris, its kind of a judgment call on the case wear. I have never really seen any recommendations on when to replace the case. There are a couple of wide lugs in the case so it would be pretty tough for the center support to spin in the case even though the small lugs look pretty worn in. I have usually replaced the case when the small lugs wear in more that about 1/8" to 3/16". I have never really measured this so I am not positive! Does anybody else know of a specification on this?

Rick
Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 AM

TH 350 roller clutch help

This is a common problem on 350s. They do make what is called a case saver for this particular problem, although I have never used one. It's hard to tell the severity of the case without seeing it. You might want to use another case if everything else is in good shape. One more tip; If you're going to install a shift kit make sure you install a hardened race on the direct drum, otherwise you'll be pulling the trans later when this weak link snaps. Good-luck!!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:47 PM

Last photo:

There are 2 different case savers. One is not too good, but there is a much better one out there. Here is a pic of it. Clicky here.

Its an easy install and will get many more years out of your case.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I got the Center support out today but it definitely was a two person job. I think I will purchase the case saver. After inspecting the case, it looks like it's worn about 1/16". I will decide for sure after I clean up the case and do a full inspection. I am planning on a shift kit so I'll be sure to pick a hardened race for the direct drum. Are there any other parts that I should swap out that don't come with the shift/rebuild kit?

Chris
Old 10-16-2005, 08:44 PM

TH 350 buildup

Chris, pay close attention to all your hard parts, and bushings. The key to longevity of a 350 turbo is tightness. I suggest putting a longer bushing in the direct drum as this is one of the weaker points of a 350.One other area of concern is the forward drum assembly; make damn sure the small input end is smooth and free of scratches, if it is not, discard it and find a new one. Install a new bushing in the output ring gear shaft where it mates. Also make sure you set the clutch packs with the right clearance; forward .015-.030, and direct .060-.080.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.