TH350 screeching now. I'm bummed! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 06:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 screeching now. I'm bummed!

Well, my first rebuild has a problem. It started a few weeks ago with a very faint whine, but today after a long drive we got off the freeway and it was making a screeching noise. Noise increases with engine speed and does it in drive and in park. My son, who has better hearing than I do, says its diffinetly comming from the tranny. I crawled under and sure enough, it sounds nasty. Fluid is still clean and no sparklys in the sun, smells ok and still shifts ok. Is there something in the converter that can make that noise? Its a real tinny kind of noise and sounds bad, any ideas?

UPDATE...
Went out to dinner just up the street. The tranny and engine had cooled considerably and the "screeching" was gone and the whine was back. Appears to be temp. related too. I cked my book that I used for the rebuild and it says converter or front pump for a whine in park, neutral and all drive gears

This don't sound good!

Funny thing is my sons TH400 did the same thing after he had it rebuilt at a shop. His was about 4 times louder than mine is but his stopped after a week or 2. ( I tried to get him to take it back, but he never did.)

Mark

Advertisement

Last edited by Jmark; 05-08-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

This does not help much, but if it does it all the time, my guess would be the pump. Seems if it was the converter it would stop when it got up to speed and the converter coupled.

Chris
Old 05-08-2004, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Hi Chris..

I'm hoping its NOT the pump!!! the converter is a lot easier to change! LOL

I"ve got non-stop work and really can't afford the down time. May have to get the '86 out and take off the cabover and park mine if it gets worse.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmark
May have to get the '86 out and take off the cabover and park mine if it gets worse.

======= they do not generally get better, but who knows?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Crosley
======= they do not generally get better, but who knows?
LOL, I know, but one can dream I guess.

Just trying to get a handle on what is the most likely causing the problem. Hate to change the converter only to find the noise still there. I"m going to unbolt the converter tomorrow and run the engine just to make 100% sure its NOT in the engine. Time will tell I guess.

Mark
Old 05-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Well, the screeching is still there. I un-bolted the converter today and pushed it back and ran the engine, no noise, bolted it back up and the noise is back.

I stopped by Aamco and had Steve listen to it again, he's the man who helped me through my rebuild and he thinks its the converter, possibly the pump. I"m taking it in tomorrow and having them do the "fix". I called Transtar and they are going to warrantee the converter if it is infact bad. Steve is going to pull the pump and ck it too while its out. Kinda wanted to do it myself but I've got too much work backed up now to take the time. Plus, at $150 I think thats a very fair price to R&R the tranny and ck the pump too.

Hopefully we'll find the problem and I'll post what we find for anyone who's interested.

Mark
Old 05-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Well, its after 5 and the shop has closed and my truck is still there! LOL Oh well, I don't need to work tomorrow anyway.

They got swamped and had some things go wrong, so its supposed to get done first thing tomorrow. Such is life I guess, just glad I have a spare ride.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.