th350 shift point - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

th350 shift point

alright i asked this in the engine tech. i did not get any replies so i guess they thought i was crazy. The problem is i already know im crazy, i just want to understand why this happened... lol. anyway. Just went from a stock 359 with headers to a rebuilt 350 with big valve heads and higher compression. With the old motor the transmission would shift hard into second. With the new motor it doesnt jerk as hard. Itd a rebuilt trans only a couple years old, and the fluid is full of course. i was a little weary to post this out of fear of looking like a fool. I just dont understand i would think that the new motor and power increase would make it shift harder? is there something im missing?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

You have less vacuum with the new motor, which is one factor that determines when it shifts. Nothing wrong with a softer shift, probably better for everything in the long run. Make sure the vacuum source for the tranny is from the manifold behind the carb. You will probably not get the firm stock shifts with big-valve heads.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

that would make sense but i forgot to mention one thing. i have the vaccuum thing for shifting disconnected at the moment and am shifting it manually because it was going bad when i switched motors
Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Last photo:

You must use the vacuum line if you expect a TH350 to shift properly. It knows when to shift better than you do, and if you override it and shift manually, you are losing performance. You can hold off the shifts a little with modulator and governor adjustments, but just letting it do its thing is usually best.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Leaving the kickdown cable disconnected is sometimes done, but you should use the modulator. If the modulator is "going bad", replace it.

You may be experiencing a different shift 'feel' because the new engine is generating more torque, causing the converter to stall a bit higher and this can also make the shifts feel softer- but the main thing is the trans needs to be fully functional, as in not needing rebuilt.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.