Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   th350 shifter linkage grommet/bushing? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th350-shifter-linkage-grommet-bushing-217771.html)

david-b 04-04-2012 02:01 PM

th350 shifter linkage grommet/bushing?

75 Monte Carlo. SBC400. TH350 auto.

What's up everyone? When I bought the Monte, the trans/motor was all out and parts were missing. I'm missing a piece that is causing the shifter to not really get into gear as smooth as it should. When shifting into drive (center console shifter), it's sloppy and sometimes you have to almost wiggle it in.

The problem is that on the shifter arm on the drivers side of the trans, is missing a grommet or some kind of bushing. The one end of the shaft sits loosely in a hole on the other bracket, and you can tell when someone else is shifting and watching it, that it's getting sloppy there. I wish I had a pic right now of what I mean.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? And / or what part I'm looking for? I'll try to get some pics next time at the garage, maybe this weekend. Thanks!

rick 427 04-04-2012 02:33 PM

If you're talking about the round linkage rod that goes from the trans to a bracket on the frame,then yes,a plastic grommet and spring belongs there...the grommet going in the bracket on the frame,and the spring on the round linkage rod...and the round linkage rod then goes into the grommet w/the spring acting as a tensioner. A transmission shop should be able to fix you up with those pieces.

david-b 04-05-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick 427
If you're talking about the round linkage rod that goes from the trans to a bracket on the frame,then yes,a plastic grommet and spring belongs there...the grommet going in the bracket on the frame,and the spring on the round linkage rod...and the round linkage rod then goes into the grommet w/the spring acting as a tensioner. A transmission shop should be able to fix you up with those pieces.

Thanks for the info Rick. Any idea on the name of what that is?
Thanks.

rick 427 04-05-2012 01:48 PM

I've allways called it a GM linkage grommet....the same piece,and set-up, was used in all RWD GM cars and trucks for years.....trans shops will be all too familier with them,as they wore out quite often....a good independent shop can help you,I'm sure....if not,i'll throw 1 in an envelope for ya.

domsmith 05-30-2012 11:30 PM

th350 shifter linkage grommet/bushing?

There is supposed to be a bushing in there. If your bushing is gone you can just make one out of rubber or nylon. A grommet or a few nylon drain plug gaskets will work..