Th350 skips 2nd. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 04:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Th350 skips 2nd.

I've had this problem for a while.

If I am just driving normal my car goes from 1st hits really high rpms then goes directly to 3rd. If I have the detenet cable hooked up, instead of down shifting into 2nd it seems like it just goes into neutral. If I shift it manually it shifts into 2nd. I would have no problem manually shifting it all the time except the problem is that when it shifts from 1st to 2nd is seems like it kind of glides into second. It's hard to explain. It's like 1st to 2nd is a very smooth soft shift. Before this problem if I just got on it it would burn out in first then then chirp in second then chirp in 3rd. It still chirps going into 3rd but not from 1st to 2nd.

I bought it rebuilt with a shift kit on ebay about 1 year ago the problem started about 3 months ago.

I know the vacuum is fine, the vacuum modulator is fine, and the modulator valve is fine. I messed with that thing more than I care to remember. Bought a new one adjusted it all day and night and still nothing. I took the govoner out it was fine wasn't apple cored or nothing.

I almost forgot some times I hear a loud click/bang when I shift it into 1st. It only happens sometimes and my dad says its probably a u-joint and probably not related at all.

Advertisement

Last edited by Hero2112; 06-21-2007 at 08:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 03:15 PM
34 chevy truck 410 merc power

Last photo:

Sounds like servo, (broken spring), snap ring, or lip seal gone.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Im not to familiar with transmissions. Could you give me a quick "how to" or some suggestions. I looked up the servo and snap ring and that seems like it could very well be the problem.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a broken intermediate sprag or failed intermediate clutches. There is no "servo" for 2nd gear.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:03 AM

do you think that if I bought a TH350 Full Manual Valve Body it would fix my problem?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 06-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

Your second gear clutches are BAD.

Your transmission needs a rebuild. I have had the same symptoms on several different turbo 350 trannies over the years. Each and everytime the tranny got rebuilt.

I suggest you get a heavy duty sprag for second gear as it will make it stronger and last longer.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Hero2112;

as pointed out by other posts;

2nd gear is broke. A full manual valve body will not fix the tranny. An over haul/rebuild will fix it.

When you manually shift to 2nd gear the coasting band is applied. That is why you feel a soft 2nd gear. This band is NOT designed to hold the full engine power.

There is metal flying around inside the tranny now from broken parts.

Make sure you flush the cooler system for the tranny when the tranny is out for an over haul.

post back when you can with more questions.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 AM

Aww that sucks. Well I found a heavy duty racing transmission on ebay that the guy says is rated at 500hp and its rebuilt for only $500 including shipping.

At the most I only have 400hp so I should be good right? Thats cheaper than getting this one rebuilt.

Well do you think I could rebuild it myself? Right now I don't know anything about rebuilding a transmission. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I have rebuilt an engine before but I know they are totally different. If I bought a how to manual and a rebuild kit do you think I could do it? How difficult is it?

Last edited by Hero2112; 06-23-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

If you can read and follow instructions, B&M had a video on how to do a tranny. A friend redid a 350 him self this way.

YOu will need a few specialty tools. The kit and all will probably be 400 to 500 when you are done. BUT you will be the tranny guy. You might even make some $$ rebuilding your buddies trannies so you have $$ to spend on your ride. That is how many of us Hot Rodders feed our addiction.

I highly recommend you get your converter FLUSHED. Otherwise the crud and debris floating around in your tranny will not be totally removed and end up in your new tranny. I had a shop forget to flush my tranny and in short order my new tranny was toast.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:18 PM
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Most likly you have a broken intermediate sprag what your actually using fo secon when you shift manually if the 2nd overun band. Its very thin and wont hold well and will burn up quickly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero2112
I've had this problem for a while.

If I am just driving normal my car goes from 1st hits really high rpms then goes directly to 3rd. If I have the detenet cable hooked up, instead of down shifting into 2nd it seems like it just goes into neutral. If I shift it manually it shifts into 2nd. I would have no problem manually shifting it all the time except the problem is that when it shifts from 1st to 2nd is seems like it kind of glides into second. It's hard to explain. It's like 1st to 2nd is a very smooth soft shift. Before this problem if I just got on it it would burn out in first then then chirp in second then chirp in 3rd. It still chirps going into 3rd but not from 1st to 2nd.

I bought it rebuilt with a shift kit on ebay about 1 year ago the problem started about 3 months ago.

I know the vacuum is fine, the vacuum modulator is fine, and the modulator valve is fine. I messed with that thing more than I care to remember. Bought a new one adjusted it all day and night and still nothing. I took the govoner out it was fine wasn't apple cored or nothing.

I almost forgot some times I hear a loud click/bang when I shift it into 1st. It only happens sometimes and my dad says its probably a u-joint and probably not related at all.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:20 PM

It's been working for 3-4 months now. I'm just going to keep driving it till it's done then buy a rebuilt 1.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 PM

Never say hey I'm just going to drive it till it goes out. The day you say that is the day it will go out... mine just went out. lol I'm going to buy a rebuilt one on ebay. This sucks.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Never say hey I'm just going to drive it till it goes out. The day you say that is the day it will go out... mine just went out. lol I'm going to buy a rebuilt one on ebay. This sucks.
This statement makes me laugh...I remember looking at my Jeep one night thinking to myself; "Gee, I haven't had a headlight burn out in I don't know how long"...only to have one go out right in front of my eyes.

I now control my thoughts much better...
Old 06-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

That pretty much 'splains it Ricky! LOL
Sorry,

the trans is not that hard to do. I did my first one last year and it's doing fine.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.