TH350 slippage??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2008, 03:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 slippage???

I have a professionally built TH350 that slips in third gear and when hot will not shift into reverse? I believe I have plenty of fluid, after market dipstick shows it is full. When cool trans works fine after about 15 miles at 45 mph step on gas and engine revs, at 75 mph seems to work better but not perfect. If it was low on fluid when first driven how long does it take to damage components? Any help to sovle problem without pulling it out would be helpful. Thanks Spike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

You are checking the fluid level with the engine running?

After you run it just a few miles the fluid should be everywhere it needs to be.

Is it getting hot?

Do you have the vacuum modulator connected to engine vacuum?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Last photo:

Aftermarket dipsticks are known to be inaccurate. You may want to drain the fluid and drop the pan. When full the fluid level should be even with the top of pan rail or bottom of trans case. If the full mark on your dipstick is off, use a file and correct (V-notch) for full & low marks.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Overdriv,

No, I am not checking with the engine running. I have been checking it hot and cold and have similar results. What is best way to check? All vacumn connections are made and double checked.

SSedan64,

If I drop the pan you say the fluid should be at the top edge, therefore I will only have to replace and equivalant amount of fluid...correct? I assuming than if the fluid is overfilled it will start coming out as soon as I brake loose the pan gasket and bolts? If this is the true "FULL" level I could than replace pan and fill accorddingly and this would be my full line on the dipstick. Agree? Sounds like an easy way to confirm fluid level and at the same time mark dipstick properly.

Thanks for your help.

Spike
Old 08-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

You allways check the fluid with the engine running on an automatic trans. That may be your problem. If you check it with the engine off the level will be much higher and incorrect.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:37 PM

350 slipage

spike, a 350 tranny and covertor bone dry take 10.5 quarts depending on pan. i run a 350 on circle track with 8.5 quarts or it blows it out. if your on the stick you should be ok.now to your prob... i see this all the time. either the valve body is lose or there is a plate that looks like a hockey stick in front of vb they put fliud transfer plates under it with shift kits. i have found them lose or someone forgot to put the stock plate back on also.. no rev,no 3rd. hpoe this helps drove me crazy the first time i saw it . found by dum luck... good luck frank..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.