Hot Rod Forum banner

TH350 & Stock Converter Behind A 383???

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
I just installed a Chevy 383 stroker in my 84 Cutlass. When I bought this car a few years ago it had a Chevy 350/350 trans. The trans had just been rebuilt with a tire screeching shift kit and still had the stock converter with it. I put this trans and stock converter behind the 383. I just completed the install yesterday and haven't took the car off the jack stands yet.

My question is.......what problems will I encounter, if any, using the stock converter with a motor pushing 400 plus hp? When I had the 350 in the car the trans did well....besides not kicking down after 3rd(that's another question).

I have a 2800 stall converter laying in the garage from the 350 long tail that was bolted to the 383 when the previous owner had it. I opted not to use it because I didn't know when he would want it back.

The TH350 will only be on the car until after it gets painted. I'm going to have a 200-4r built to match the specs of the motor. I still want to have a lil fun with the 350 before I swap it out, but would like to be forwarned of ANY possible problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.