TH350 swap 82 Z28 shake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TH350 swap 82 Z28 shake

I have a 82 Z28 the previous owner swaped a th 350 in it.Under accel there was a vielent shake.He thuoght it was the trans .Since then I have made a bracket for the torque arm that bolts to the crossmember.I have relace the left motor mount trans mount rear u joint.Now the bad part of the shake is gone .But there is still alittle wobble shudder under lite accel but cant feel it under hard accel. The Main question I have is when swaping the trans will the same drive shaft work?How can I tell if this drive shaft correct,how far in or out should the slip yoke fit into the trans wheels hanging or on the ground? Now I will mess with the torque arm angle right now it is excactly in line with the drive shaft,s u joint.To day I saw one of the last year Z28 on a lift at work the arn on that was mounted a few inches under the front U joint something to think about.Then theres still the front U joint although seemed ok.And the right motor mount not broken but the rubber is oil soaked and mushy but didn,t seem to move much.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Roddin in OK

Last journal entry: Still Moving Forward
Last photo:

swap

If your swapping back to the original 700r4 the drivshaft yolk will fit.However the 350 is not the same length as a 700. They made 3 lengths of the 350 that i know of ,the car which is about 3 1/2 inches too short and the truck which is 1 inch too short. they also made one for a full size 2wd blazer thats in between these two. The driveshaft yolk needs to slide in far enough to slip in the bushing in the tailshaft which is somewhere around 3and 1/2 inches.if you are indeed going to a 700 get a 87 to 92 model,these were stronger and better than the early ones.Hope this helps
Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50BLUECHEVY
If your swapping back to the original 700r4 the drivshaft yolk will fit.However the 350 is not the same length as a 700. They made 3 lengths of the 350 that i know of ,the car which is about 3 1/2 inches too short and the truck which is 1 inch too short. they also made one for a full size 2wd blazer thats in between these two. The driveshaft yolk needs to slide in far enough to slip in the bushing in the tailshaft which is somewhere around 3and 1/2 inches.if you are indeed going to a 700 get a 87 to 92 model,these were stronger and better than the early ones.Hope this helps

Couple of items here;

the t-350 was built in 5 different lengths from GM that I have seen. 2 of those were 4x4 applications.

there is a 6 inch , 9 inch and 12 inch tail housings on the t-350. The 9 inch tail housing matches up to the 700 / 4L60 length very close to swap out the transmissions.

Eggs have yolks ... drive shafts have yokes

david ahluwalia:

The t-350 trans and the 700r4 / 4L60 use the same 27 spline yoke. I would look at the torque arm design you built , pull the drive shaft out and re-inspect everything again.

Check the U-joints for proper installation into the flange of the differential and the yoke at the transmission.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Alot of times a shake on accel is causing by a angle problem. Check your pinion angle,make sure your not getting exessive spring wrap also. Always remove the D/L to check the joint's.

While you have the D/L out you can check for correct length, take the D/L and push it all the way in the trans and pull it back out about 1 1/4 ,that is going to be your running position when installed in the pinion yoke.

When you jack your car up make sure you put the jack stands on the differential axle tube's so you will get a correct measurement.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Roddin in OK

Last photo:

Whatever

I didn't mention 4x4.s because any moron know they are different and too short to use on a 2wd.yolks or yokes? i see the spelling police are out in force!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
I didn't mention 4x4.s because any moron know they are different and too short to use on a 2wd.yolks or yokes? i see the spelling police are out in force!

OK... You are some what new here, not many posts.

In 3 decades of transmission work and 10 years of internet transmission questions answered I have learned a few items

Some folks do not have a clue as to what output shaft is a 4x4 or 2 wheel drive. Some folks think you unbolt a tail housing and bolt on a different length.

If you are referring to me or any other member here as a moron , that will result is a 2 week suspension of posting privileges. No personal attacks or name calling is allowed. That is in the TOS you agreed to at the time of sign up.

I am not the spelling police. Some folks actually believe the drive shaft has a yolk on it. I simply point out the correct term : yoke.

Also , learn to space out your sentences and use proper punctuation. That process makes it much easier for folks to read your posts.

Last edited by Crosley; 12-07-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Roddin in OK

Last photo:

First of all Crosley i didn't call you or anyone else a moron.By not mentioning a 4x4 trannny i was doing the exact oposite. The fact that anyone who is considering swapping a transmission more than likely has enough knowledge to tell by looking that a 4x4 shaft won't work.I have a problem though with acting like someone is stupid and doing it in a nice way, that is no different than calling someone a moron.If you don't want anyone else to answer post and try and help people say so.I have 15 years rebuilding GM trannys and thought maybe i had something to add.And as you can tell i'm not an English major so maybe i should just stay off of here anyway. thanks for setting me straight.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
First of all Crosley i didn't call you or anyone else a moron.

By not mentioning a 4x4 trannny i was doing the exact oposite. The fact that anyone who is considering swapping a transmission more than likely has enough knowledge to tell by looking that a 4x4 shaft won't work.

I have a problem though with acting like someone is stupid and doing it in a nice way, that is no different than calling someone a moron.

If you don't want anyone else to answer post and try and help people say so.

I have 15 years rebuilding GM trannys and thought maybe i had something to add.

And as you can tell i'm not an English major so maybe i should just stay off of here anyway.

thanks for setting me straight.
We are way off track on this thread, I apologize to the original poster for that.

50Bluechevy.... you have years experience rebuilding transmissions.. good, all folks are welcome to provide answers here. On the flip side I will correct the information or add to it as I see fit. I certainly do not know it all and never will

I saw no incorrect information of your post. I only posted about the t-350 trans having 5 different lengths from GM.

You must have little experience dealing with tech calls and customer's questions. I deal with people from every corner of this planet on products sold by the company I work .

I will tell you that folks I talk to attempt things with transmissions every week that they have no clue on. Swapping a 4x4 trans into place of a 2 wheel drive trans or the other way around? I see & hear this question 4 - 5 times a month.

Or how about the 3 different 4x4 shafts used in the t-400 transmission? That sure gets folks confused......

Folks still bolt the torque converter to the flex plate...... then bolt on the transmission... then wonder why the pump is destroyed.

I also corrected your use of 'yolk' for a drive line 'yoke'... I do this correction all the time. Many folks do not know the difference and usually appreciate the correction. I had a fellow across the pond (ocean) in the UK thank me for correcting him on that.

I am not an English major either. I use the Firefox browser that highlites my poor spelling as I type. I am also slightly dyslexic , something my 35 yr old son thanks me for passing it along to him when he was born.

Your input is always appreciated here.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
The fact that anyone who is considering swapping a transmission more than likely has enough knowledge to tell by looking that a 4x4 shaft won't work.
Really ??
You must have a lot better grade of home mechanics and fender lizards in your area than most places I have ever lived. If it bolts to the back of the block ... someone will try to make it work. Even if only a few of the bolts will line up ... somebody is willing to try and Make something work out

I worked in a salvage yard part-time for many years and you would NOT believe the mis-matched homemade stuff I have seen. Folks with little to no money with even less mechanical ability trying to prop their broke down old wore car POS ... back into the highway to last another few weeks is very prevalent. I would imagine with todays economic situation being like it is ... things are even worse now.

People tend to judge your responses and answers ... FACT
If you profess to be experienced and knowledgeable ... they usually put a little more creditability in your statements. That is why .. as Moderators ... we have to TRY and do out best ... to help inform the folks who read these things. We do make errors .. but we almost always have a more knowledgeable person inform us of our mistakes or errors. There is nothing wrong with this ... and I fact ... I enjoy learning even more about the things I did not know. So when someone ADDS to your post, they are not necessarily saying you are wrong ... it is just there is more to it

Relax ...
We are all here to learn and have FUN ...

Deuce ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 AM
Roddin in OK

Last photo:

Ok Ok

Well, i was just going to drop this but i'm too hardheaded and love a good challenge. I have a junk yard [acording to my wife] and i also have seen some good ones.I would really love to see someone try to rig something up to a shaft that protrudes about two inches out the back of the case,I could make a fortune off that video.If someone has the ability too pull a trans out of a car they have to have enough common sense to tell by looking that it won't work.I think your selling your newbies short.anyway this ain't worth talking about anymore and crosleys right we shouldn't have strayed this far,sorry crosley.

" A lesson hard learned is one best remembered"

'
Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:

1) Well, i was just going to drop this but i'm too hardheaded and love a good challenge.

2) I think your selling your newbies short.

3) anyway this ain't worth talking about anymore

4) " A lesson hard learned is one best remembered"
1) ... something MOST of us here suffer from, myself included

2) I think you should see the stuff that gets sent to the dump or edited ... as a moderator ... we see it all ... and sometimes it is just not believable how uninformed and naive some folks holding a wrench are.

3)

4) I agree ... see my signature

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.